Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Local Gear Install

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by nau81blazer, Sep 8, 2005.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if you AZ guys know of anyone in the valley who could help me install new gears? Being the stero-typical (atleast finicially) college student I don't have all kinds of $$$ to spend on my truck, but i've just about had it with my 2.73's. So, do you guys know anyone out there that would do it for some beer and cash? Thanks for the help!

--Adam Chapman

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Is your truck down here or up in Flag? If it's up in Flag, go talk to Scott at American Spring as he could prolly either do it or will know someone who can. He's the one who sold me the springs that are on Wimpy and is a pretty good guy to boot.

3. nau81blazer

Ya, I am up in Flagstaff. I'll have to check out the american spring place. Thanks for the info. Anyone else know someone?

Thanks agian,

--Adam

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I have 2:73's and they do kinda suck for wheeling with 35" tires, but it got 14-15 mpg :D I think it would do alright if it was locked with 33's for moderate wheeling. But your cheapest way might be to swap in another pair of axles. I'm guessing $200-250 front & $100-150 rear, so for $3-400 you will have the gears you want, plus spare axle shafts, hubs, etc. And if you decide you like the old gas mileage better, you could always put the old ones back in. :rolleyes:
    I just found these on crawlinaz,
    "have matching set 10 bolt axles from 88 suburban 150. 373 but will recheck"
    so $150 could upgrade you to 3.73's :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  5. nau81blazer

I have a 14bff sitting in my soon-to-be inlaws garage. It has 3.73 in it. I guess to would be just as easy to find an 8 lug D44 and swap those in. Does anyone know of an 8 lug D44 w/3.73's in Arizona? Or where i might go to look? I do plan on running a bigger tire (like 36"s). I know 3.73's aren't exactly great for that but, it's all i would be able to afford so.....

Thanks for the help guys,

--Adam

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I found two 8 lug 10bolts in the j/y today. $150+tax+core charge= ~$200
    didnt check the gear ratios though.

7. nau81blazer

Do you think the yard owners would know if I called them. I just came back up to Flag today...darn. Thanks for the info.

--Adam

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

my friend is up in flagstaff at NAU, he was in a bind at scott took cate of him real fast and for a great price too considering how quick the turn around was,

-shawn