Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Local Shop for 14BFF Hub Work.....?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Greg72, May 28, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Guys,

Welcome back from your holiday weekend. I hope everyone was safe and had a great time! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I spend some time this weekend working on the 14BFF swap. It's a slow process and I'm trying to do each step right so that I don't have to RE-DO it again later.

I'm about ready to re-install the wheel hubs, but would like to get new bearings and seals installed on them first, and obviously have them packed with grease.

I heard of a shop called "California Differential" on Fremont Blvd. Has anyone worked with these guys before, and would they be able to do this type of "simple" work?

I'll post a seperate message to show somw pics of what been going on in the "Man Space" for those of you who are interested!

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i dont think you need to pack the bearings...the oil from the diff gets into the hub and lubes the bearings...unless the bearings are bad i would just run em...

3. Greg72

Chaz,

I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. The bearings are pretty sloppy and it's EASY to get to them now that the hubs are just sitting there.....that's why I thought I'd just put new ones in and never have to worry about taking it all apart again.

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

another thing is thos bearings are not in anyway cheep...its normal for em to feel loose when they are out...once they get put in and torqued down they should be fine...just look for hot spots on the bearings...redish blueing on em...or even pits...if they look good you shouldent need to replace em...thos bearing very rarely go bad as long as you keep them lubed...but you dont have to worry about that as long as the diff is full of oil...

5. Greg72

FYI -

I called California Differential, and they don't really work on the bigger stuff there (They said basically it's all 1/2 Ton business)

What I got was a good lead on a place that's even closer to me: Bayshore Truck Equipment, in San Jose (near the airport off Brokaw). I was able to drop off my hubs and they'll be ready to go tomorrow with all new bearings and seals. They seem to understand what's going on and they told me they only use high-quality bearings (American-made, Timken, etc)....so that made me feel better.

They say that they also do CV-driveshafts and stuff like that too, so it may turn out to be a good place to know about. The prices for the bearings and labor didn't seem excessive either.....

FWIW

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What was the price on the bearings?

Note to self:
    This is where Greg has been hidding /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Deetz Off Rd. Specialties 925-846-5907
    32 California Ave.
    Pleasanton

My Dad and I have had work done there about 10yrs. ago. The owner John Deetz is one cool guy. I picked his brain for like 20 mins. He also has done work for a few Family Friends who raced Baja's 500, and other major races. He is worth a shot. and a good guy. Hope this helps.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should have started asking questions my way Greg. I second the statement about they almost never go bad unless they don't receive lube from the differential. I did not replace any bearings in mine when I took it apart to clean and inspect it. Oh well, you have found someone to do the work you wanted done, thats the main thing. And you might have stumbled onto someone new for driveshaft work in the process.

9. Greg72

Hey Scott,

Yeah in retrospect I probably didn't HAVE to replace those bearings, but the more I think about it......what's wrong with replacing 25-year old bearings on an axle of unknown origin? It's probably still good "insurance" and one less thing to worry about on the trail....

Hey if you want to help out, do you know how to install a Detroit Locker? I have been thinking about slapping one in before BlazerFest, since I may die of old age before I see the "Electric Locker" that I really want!!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No problem Greg, it was easy. You just need to make sure you have an open carrier. Are you changing gear ratios also? Let me know when you want to do it and I will help you.

11. Priest

Priest Registered Member

If your still looking at doing this you can give River City Differentials a call. It is a bit of a haul for you (Sacramento)but anyone who has had work done by them and attest to the quality. Sean is the owner and an avid wheeler. He does awsome work with exceptional customer service. I can't say enough good things about the place. I had him do the gears (front and rear) as well as the locker in my truck.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Talked to them at Ad-Tech they had the best price I've found around here to install the Detroit in my Eaton.

13. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I second the recommendation for River City Differential in Sacramento. Sean does very good work. He did the gears and front and rear lockers on Shawn's 4Runner. He is also going to do my Jimmy.. If i ever get it running again :-(

14. Greg72

Dan,

I haven't seen the invoice yet, but I got a sense of it today.

1 hour labor
    2 Seals
    8 Bearings (inners & outers)
    1 New Snap Ring
    & Tax on Parts

~$200.

They said the bearings were pretty tired and were showing signs of just being old.....some sticking, some loose, general wear visble on the parts....etc. As I've said before, a 25-year old axle has 25-year old bearings and to me this was something I wanted to do for my own piece of mind.

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That sounds about right...I'm guessing the bearings are at least $30 each for good US made stuff.