Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Local shop to rebuild 700R4

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by TravisO, Apr 12, 2004.

1. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

It's time to get this done. Lost 3-4 gears and want to have some other goodies added while it's out getting rebuilt. TCI reverse manual valve body with engine braking (Part #376015) is looking appealing so I don't have to deal with the TV cable adjustment. Also want to add a B&M Truck Megashifter to the floor, hate the column shift.
    What recommendations are there for a local shop to do the rebuild? I'm in Beaverton, OR and I'm a cheap bastard. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Travis

2. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Mudhog suggests Larry's Tranmission he knows some one or has a relative that works there and knows 700R'S right Shannon?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes my uncle owns the shop. they are not the cheapest in town but they do good work and stand behind what they do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, if you're willing to bring it up to the 'coove I know a guy who'll bullet proof it for about $1K..bomb proof for about $1200 That's the cheapest I could find anywhere /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif expensive little bastidges! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

So I went to an Offroad shop and he farms out that stuff to a guy that works as a GM tech. Does stuff on the side. Says I can get it rebuilt for about $200 flat on Labor plus whatever parts I want/need. Does this sound like a gem in the rough or a potential disaster? I have heard of rebuilds in the $700 range inluding all parts, so it might be in the ballpark.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the TCI reverse manual valvebody. Supposed to have no compression braking problems, and I could get rid of the TV cable. Win/Win?
    Travis

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A straight rebuild will run about $300-350 in parts. $100 for a rebuild kit, $200-250 for the torque converter. You can call Transmission Exchange Company in Portland and see what the prices are yourself. They have some of the best prices.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I haven't found a 700-R4 for less than $1200 anywhere /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Do they stand behind their work? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif