Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Local Trail Open House Meeting Results

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by Polaris, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Last night I attended the Oneida County public open house/comment meeting regarding the 5 year recreation plan. Turnout was small - I think there were 4 of us into "motorized" sports and 4 into "silent sports". Overall, I think it went very well. Everyone had as much time as they'd like to speak. I think this is the first time they have had the public open house meetings. Here are the important things that I got out of it:

-Everyone seems to agree that there is room for all forms of recreation in the 82,000 acres. There was a sense of respect for each other where a lot of times we see the selfishness.

-Four wheeling is not mentioned in the previous/current plan. However, this time "truck use" was mentioned under ATV trails in the Linear Parks section. I let them know that I appreciate the mention. We decided that it did not really belong in the ATV section but should have it's own, and further we discussed definition and that sort of thing. We don't want to exclude someone with a 2 wheel drive out "leaf peeping" or just enjoying the scenery.

-On one page, there are the SCORP recommendations in table format. It lists "Off Highway Vehicles" as a static demand, so right somewhere in the middle. However, on the local priorities we were not even on the chart. I stated my concern over that and they are likely to include us. At this point I cannot tell them whether it would be high, medium, or low priority - just that we would like to be recognized. It is vital to be included if we are to receive future funding.

-I would encourage all of you to take a few minutes and fill out a survey they have developed. Most of it pertains to parks, but there are some questions towards the end and a comment area. Maybe you could express your interest in coming up to Rhinelander for some trail riding in the near future. I also would like to extend that invitation to anyone. They are by no means trying to keep us away from the trails here. In fact, they say we have every right to be there and enjoy our form of recreation. Here is a link to the survey: http://www.co.oneida.wi.gov/county/app/docs/oneida/200401150843225131690.doc

John Bilogan, the new Forestry Director, suggested opening several trails for multiple use. He said that he hears from several sources that there are too many bermed trails and I strongly feel that is the case. He said these would be non-signed, non-maintained and it would be multiple use - travel at your own risk. As in, you can ride your horse there but do expect to come across a four wheel drive truck. Also, our map system is in dire need of work. They have begun to inventory the trails. Aerial photos show about 125 miles of trail just south of where we live, but they don't show trail condition and it's hard to tell if they go anywhere. I offered to help in GPS mapping. The gentleman who has been working on this project asked for my phone number, so I expect to hear from him soon.

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Andrea,

Not sure if it's just me but the link isn't working /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brett

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That's because the comment period is over. But thanks for looking anyways! It seems to be going quite well. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

hehehe...opps /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif glad it's going good, I guess I need to check this forum out more often /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

How is it going now??