Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locating squeaking noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, May 7, 2000.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to locate a squeak from the alternator, water pump, power steering pump etc if you have a serpentine belt. I have removed and replaced the belt. While the belt was off I tried spinning the above mentioned parts by hand but was not able to spin them fast enough to produce the squeak. After putting the new belt on I started it up and as always the squeak was there and squeaks for about 15 minutes, then goes away. Any ideas on how I can spin these parts one at a time to see if I can find the culprit? The motor is a 1989 Chevy 4.3 and I have not replaced any of the above parts except the belt.......thanks.

2. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

You could try a mechanics stethoscope. It helped me out on a number weird noises. It won't hurt to try.

3. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

just watch that fan ...........it plays for keeps.........

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

4. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

for a stethescope i use a long screwdriver. put the metal end on the object ear on the handle. it is not as fancy, but it gets the job done and it is cheaper.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

check the belt tensioner. If its weak, the belt can slip when "cold", and grab more as it heats up.I'm sorry to use this word but "ford" had a problem with tensioners causing noises. also check that all pullys are aligned. if anybody has taken the p.s.pully off, it could not be pressed on properly. the p.s. pully is just pressed on and doesn't always self align. sorry to all for using the "f" word.

6. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Found out the power steering pump mounting bolts were loose. Didn't notice it was loose when I had the belt off and was spinning it by hand. But then again I didn't see the bolts because they are behind the P/S pump pulley and real fun to get at.....thanks again.