Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Location of fuel filter on 89 S15

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by BurbinOR, Oct 28, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Acting like it's either the pump and/or filter going out...........let me know where the filter is and if it requires any special treatment to remove it.

Anyone done a fuel pump on these? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it's like my '91, then the fuel filter is on the inside of the drivers side frame rail. Changing it is easy. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Harry, have you done a fuel pump on these? I can drop my K5 tank in my sleep, but want pointers on the S-15 before I start. TIA /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, I swapped the fuel pump at around 130K miles. The old one wasn't bad yet, but I didn't want to wait for it to fail on a 5-degree day, with a full tank of fuel, 50 miles from home. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's pretty much the same process as on the K5. Drop the tank slightly, disconnect the wires and hoses, then get the tank out and change the pump. Now put it all back together. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The hardest part was getting the hoses hooked back up. The tank has to be most of the way in there before they'll reach the sending unit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It helps to have 3 arms. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. s10350power

s10350power Registered Member

Im pretty sure that the fuel filter is in the same place mine is witch is up front, by the motor, toward the bottom its pretty hard to get to and suck to get out good luck