Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Location search feature for profiles...

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by ChevyCaGal, Dec 2, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Steve how hard would it be to have a search feature that could search peoples profiles as far as the location part goes? Like if someone new comes to the site from Spokane and wants to see who is by them... they enter Spokane in a search and it turns up who is from there. They could type in city names too from locations close by and see who else turns up... I think that'd be really cool.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I second that idea.
    Or have this map that I read about in a previous post that had the locations of every body, but the link doesn't work for me.
    It could be a sticky on this page. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I think I suggested that about a yr ago. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

I must have missed that?

So Steve is this possible or not? Because it would be really a handy feature I think! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yes and no, I think I can hack the software to pull the location onto the "User List" but you would still have to scroll threw the pages to find "M" let's say for Michigan. I will play with this after the next forum upgrade which is in betta right now, we should have a production release after the holidays.

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

How about a alphabet list where you could hit "T" and it would send you to the first "T", which would be Tennesee? That way you would only have to scroll throught one letter. Otherwise people looking for other people in Wyoming have one helluva scroll!!

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Exactly what I want, may have that in the near future but as of right now no letters.

8. ChevyCaGal

That'd be awesome. I don't how much help I could be but if I can help please let me know and I will do so. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have a variation on that idea. Why not have a place in the profile for users to enter their actual zip codes? Then the software could search for people within a certain distance from you. Like traderonline.com will search for cars for sale within whatever distance from you that you choose. Or, instead of searching, it would just display a list of users in each zip code that you could search. Problem is, you would have to know the zip codes of towns near you in addition to your own. I'm not sure how feasible this is, it was just a thought.

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Also, meant to add that I could help with this effort as well whichever way you decide to do it, Steve. I enjoy working with lists and databases, so I could possibly compile lists of people in the same area or zip code. I wouldn't do it with all 10,000+ members, though, only those that are "active." By active, I mean their last post was less than a month or two ago. If they have 0 or 1 posts and have been regged since fall of 2001, then I wouldn't consider them very active. Anyway, I would be willing to help as well. Thanks