Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lock cylinder removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nocoasthardcore, Nov 22, 2004.

1. nocoasthardcore

nocoasthardcore Registered Member Premium Member

i am trying to change the lock cylinder in my 1989 k5. i have pulled the steering wheel and the lock plate and the turn signal switch. now what? thank you

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a small screw near the upper edge of the cylinder, remove that and the cylinder comes out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Put the ignition in the run position,use something thin to slip behind the lock cylinder work it back and forth and down at the same time.Should pop loose,at least it worked on my '73.Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Put the ignition in the run position,use something thin to slip behind the lock cylinder work it back and forth and down at the same time.Should pop loose,at least it worked on my '73.Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I changed doors and had to swap the old ones out, but I think the newer ones are different as big83 said /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 78 and older had a different way of holding it in, used a narrow spring loaded bar, the 79 and newer used a small screw.

6. nocoasthardcore

nocoasthardcore Registered Member Premium Member

Thank you all for the help. i do not have my key*thus the replacement*, so no putting it into 'run'
    i posted twice, i did not realize the forum went so quickly and thought there had been an error.

also. i was surprised at the difference between the autozone part and the delco. the delco part is much heavy. even the keys themselves have a more comforting heft.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

How many GM keys do ya have?
    Start doing the jiggle and ya might get lucky.
    Or call in a locksmith.