Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lock cylinders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Feb 23, 2001.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

My lock cylinders are getting sticky and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. I was told to stay away from WD-40 because of rust. Is that true? TIA.

[​IMG]

2. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

The WD in WD-40 is supposed to stand for Water Displacement or somesuch and i've never heard of it causing rust but maybe attracting dirt and clogging it up more. I've used graphite and it works sweet and doesn't attract any dirt.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree for all my sticky locks I use the graphite powder, it is incredible how well it works.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

There is a liquid spray graphite lock lube you can get. When you spray it into a lock cylinder, it flows the graphite in and then the liquid evaporates. It really works great. I can't remember the name but I see it for sale all the time. I have some at my shop, so I'll get the name and post it tomorrow.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Do you mean sticky like there is old grease and dirt and other junk in there, or sticky because there is no grease and the internals don't want to move. If there is junk in there, I would rinse it out with some brake parts cleaner, let dry, then use the graphite spray.

[​IMG]

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I just remembered the spray was in the back of my K5. The name of the product is Lock-Ease...graphited lock fluid. It's in a 3 oz. spray can and comes with the red tube like WD-40 does. The description says:

Enters as a rapid penetrant, coating all lock parts. The special "carrier" soon evaporates, leaving a graphited long-wearing film. After evaporation, will not run, even in the hottest climates...won't harden in sub-zero temperatures. Recommended for every type of lock. It can also be used on tools, guns, fishing reels and other mechanisms.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".