Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock It?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I need Help with a decision. To lock it or Not to lock it, That is the question. (never thought we could Shakespere in a Ck5 forum) Here is the build and I would be using a Mini spool more than likely.

82 Blazer, 6.2 diesel, 14bff rear with a detroit and disc brakes, 6" front springs and 1.5 shackles, rear is a ORD 4" shackle flip, Xover steering on a 10b(open at this time) all running on 33's.

Should I lock the front or not? I am worried about strength. will the axles hold up at all or will I just tear it apart. remember I am light footed with a diesel. I would like to run the 10b for another year before swapping to a 60.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if ur going to eventually swap in a 60, dont waste the money on a locker for the 10b. 10b + locker = axle shafts go bye bye

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I agree

4. ssped

I am sooooo back and forth on this. Today I am in a leave it open mood but yesterday It was a lock it mood. I am going to sit on this for a week or 2 to decide.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you're going to waste... err... spend money on a spool, might as well just weld it. Especially if you're already planning to replace it.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Weld it. Really easy to do on a 10blt /d44

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Are you certain you'll have a 60 within a year. If it's going to be 2yrs more, I would lock it up with a Lock-rite. When you do get a 60 you have a better chance getting some money for the axle or even part out the locker and sell it individually.

Personally I wouldn't be so worried about axle breakage. You describe yourself as light on the throttle and you're only running 33s. I feel the front locker makes it easier to "crawl" obstacles without getting heavy in the throttle anyways. Heck I ran a locked 44 on 37s. :dunno:

I would recommend swapping in new axle shaft ujoints since you gotta pull them anyways. Also do a full circle clip conversion while you're at it.

Just my .02

8. ssped

the front does not have C clips and I was thinkin 100$ Mini spool. Maybe I will weld it though.

9. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say weld it or leave it open. theres no use in wasting money if you're going to get rid of it. If you want it locked then weld it. I ran a welded d44 (which is pretty much the same thing) for 6 months and had no problems with 35s.

If you plan on getting a d60 then there is no point in spending money on the 10b. so like I said, weld it or leave it open.

10. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

HIJACK ON
    i have a 3/4 TON 10B up front and a 14BFF in the rear both with 4.10s open and plan on going 38x14.50R16.5 I am gonna lock the rear but should i lock the front? I do mud and trails LOTS A MUD MUD.
    HIJACK OFF

11. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say lock it. I wheeled open for 3 years and locked for 1 and will never wheel with an open diff again. those tires will be hard on a 10b but with it locked it will crawl a little easier and you wont have to use the throttle as much so it might be ok, plus if you have a 14bff rear you'll at least be able to make it home.

12. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I was also thinking 33s or 35s.