Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock-out hubs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fulltopblazer, Apr 10, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm converting a 74 d44 to 8 lug with parts off of a 78 d44 8 lug that is full time. Will my lock-outs off my 6 lug be the same? I noticed on 4wpw's website that they list different lock-outs for 3/4 ton.

2. fulltopblazer

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If your locking hubs off a six lug are internal style hubs, then they should. If they are the earlier external style then no. 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton hubs will swap from what I understand as long as they are the same style (internal, external).

4. fulltopblazer

How can you tell the difference? Is it something that is very noticable or will I not know until I get it torn down? I'm just trying to make sure I have all my bases covered before I tear it down my shop space is very limited. Thanks

5. Hossbaby50

My truck has internal hubs. There are pictures of it in my signature. Exteranl hubs are huge. I will see if I can find a pic.

6. Hossbaby50

Ok, I reread your post. If you are using 78 parts to convert then you should be ok. 78 should have the internal style hubs, and if it is fulltime then you should be ok. As long as the hubs off your 1/2 ton are the same size as the hubs on the 78. I am thinking that external hubs were on only 3/4 ton models prior to 76. (not positive) Your hubs should be fine, but someone else here will be able to tell you for sure.