Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock Plate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Apr 25, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok, I got my lock plate puller, how do I use thing? I have the part that screws onto the shaft, the U shaped part, a nut, and this long bolt, please help. The lock plate is the plastic part over the steering column that is there after you pull the wheel off right? How do I get it back on? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

This one I know (see my posts on wiper switches). First, you need to remove the plastic cover, on mine it just popped off after prying (gently) on it the right way. Next you see a metal plate, this is what you use the puller on. Take the nut and screw it most all the way down the long bolt. Take the part that screws onto the shaft and screw it down tightly. Then position the u-bolt over this piece and insert the long bolt through the u-bolt and into the piece that is already screwed onto the shaft and screw the long bolt into this piece tightly. Now using the nut, screw it down until it puts pressure on the u-bolt which is putting pressure on the lock plate. Use a wrench and keep applying pressure until the lock ring on the steering shaft underneath the piece that is already screwed onto the shaft (wish I knew what it is called) gets some free play. Now using two screwdrivers pry this lock ring up. It's not easy and be careful not to hit the u-bolt much. It's pressurized by a spring underneath. I don't think it will come loose but I sure didn't completely trust it. Once the lock ring is up over the main part of the shaft, you can start to release pressure by loosening the nut. This will bring the lock ring and lock plate up.

I hope this helps and is clear enough to understand. It took me about 5 minutes to figure it out but once you do it's easy to understand. The big thing is you're trying to compress the lock plate to remove the lock ring.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........

3. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

The last post has it right...but why you pulling the plate, igition, turn signals, loose column? Don't forget to put the ring back on before putting the plate compressor back on, just one less step to go back for...done several and the first couple I forgot the ring.

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To do your best not to break the plastic cover, use a flat blade screwdriver in each of the small ractangular cutouts on teh edge of it (3 I think) ifyou don't, the cover piece breaks.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>