Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock right and problems.... any suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, May 24, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I have a Lock right and it has begun making more noise, a knock , in reverse and when going around a corner at slow speeds, you can lift one tire off the ground and spin the other in reverse and it will also make the click,click click, or knock knock knock,
    I took the thing out tonight and everything looks good, corner's starting to get a LITTLE round on teeth, seems like the springs are a little weak as well....... so help me out if you've also had the problem....please

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I went thru THREE (count 'em 3!) Lock Right units when I ad my 88 P/U (10 bolt w/3.73's). WHen the teeth loose their edges AT ALL, my units would slip. DON"T ALLOW YOUR LR TO SLIP! After blowing two of these, the third finally cracked the carrier in two. This is because when the unit slips, most of the time, both sides of the unit are disengaging, causing the LR to pry at the case, trying to split it with each pop and clunk.

If you have had this unit for less than 3 years, return it to LR with proof of purchase, and they will replace it for free. They were always very good about replacing defective units.

Good luck, and I hope this info helps. Let me know. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

It sounds like your Lock Right is pretty normal. Mine always makes the same noises. The important thing is, how does it "work" offroad? Does it slip during uphill climbs? If its just a noise issue, try a thicker gear lube. Mine did have some rounded edges as well, but now it doesnt hold on uphill climbs. We have renamed it a "Pop Right". I have a Detroit to install in its place when time permits.

Also, did you do the test like the manual states? I believe you jack the axle up completely, then rotate one wheel backward as someone is holding the other, then immediately rotate it forward and it should lock. Cant remember exactly, but I will check sometime.

4. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I would love to return it but I dont have the receipt, so I will just go with a mini spool probly, as far as locking on hills it still does but getting closer to not working I can feel it, Oh well such as life with a Lock Right....LOL