Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock-Right Differentials Good or Bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POFF, Dec 17, 2001.

1. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Has anyone heard anything Good or Bad about Lock-Right or Quick-Lock differentials? Anyone have one in their front Dana 44? I'm thinking of getting one. Don't want to put too much money into the D44. If I have to spend a lot I would rather buy a D60. It looks like the Lock-Right can be installed in the stock carrier without removing it from the axle. Comments?

Thanks

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have a Lock-Right, with the exception of added steering effort required with a front locker, it has worked really well, I tend to be pretty easy on the front end in the rocks, so i have yet to do any damage to it, i 've had it since feb, and its done real well,

As for the installation, if you have a low gear set, 4.10 and lower you have to remove the ring gear to get the cross shaft out, so you have to take the carrier out, which means pulling one end of the tie rod off, not hard but kind of a pain.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

RaisedK5, Thanks for the note. I called Power-Trax and they said with a D44 4:56 or higher is the issue. I have 4.09s so I should be cool. I think I am going to pull the tie rod anyhow. A couple guys on the 69-72 board had good things to say as well. I think I'm going to do it next month. $249 was the cheapest I could find it. Good price?

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I think thats what i paid for mine from Reider Racing, so sounds good to me, Hmmm, i had to take off the ring gear with my 4.09s. Oh well either way its not that hard.

Leland aka RaisedK5

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have 4.10s and had to remove the ring gear to install the locker. I have wheeled the heck out of my lock-right and have never had any problems. If you have wheeled without a locker up front and have one already in the rear, I will tell you one thing. Prepare to start going places you never went before. They are a definate aid in wheeling. I would say adding lockers should be the first mod to do. They are definately worth the money. Good luck.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I just installed a Lock Rite into a D44 front this weekend. It has 4.09 gears... and I had to pull the whole carrier.

Oh, ... and "Thumbs up" on the Lock Rites!... I've had 3 of them and been happy so far. I did wear one out after about 110k miles and 8 or so years of 4 wheelin'..

Marv

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

How do these Lockrites stand up to 35s? I heard that they werent really cut out for tires bigger than 33s.

I have a Dana44 with 4:56s... what was the verdict on that? Its a different model or something?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well, i have 36s and so far its held up reall well, the guy at Reider Racing when i ordered it told me that they don't recommend it for over 33's but mines done fine, i am a little easy on it, im very conscious of to much throttel and wheel spin at full lock, i try not to come down on a tire thats spinning to fast, etc. thats where most of the problems would come from, shock loading, but i am going to be interested to see how it stands up to the doubler, i'm putting that in soon, and that will increase torque loads on it. But so far so good!!

Leland aka RaisedK5

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I run 35's.... And I run a Doubler 'case. So I'd say they'll definitely work for at least 35's.

Marv

10. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Thumper, all D44s have the same one. It's in the front so it will take me a while to put 100k miles on it. I wanted to avoid removing the carrier but it shouldn't be too much work to take it out and put back. Thanks for all the input. It was $249 at Drivetrain Direct. Anyone have good or bad experiences with them?

FYI: www.powertrax.com

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't know what you define as "too much work" but to drop a front carrier out, you first have to pull the axles. [​IMG] This means pulling the wheels, brakes, hub/rotors and spindles from both sides first. [​IMG] Just so you plan enough time for the job. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I got my lockrite from<a target="_blank" href=http://www.central4wd.com/>central4wd.com</a>
    $231. plus 12.00 shipping
    I like it. Its been working good so far.

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Drivetrain Directs shipping department, either can't read, or just messed up.
    Paid extra to have it shipped U.S. Mail, and they shipped it UPS.
    The first shippment never got to me.
    Long story, good thing I used a credit card, reversed the charges.
    They may have been a new company to mail order in 1997.
    YRWV

14. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I noticed Central4wd is $236. If they are cool I'll order it there. I didn't want to pull the carrier but after dumping $10,000 into my truck (only $400 was labor) I don't think pulling the carrier will be too much work. It's just one of those things I'd rather avoid. I'm afraid if I pull it out I'll find all kinds of stuff I'll need to replace. Next thing you know I'm ordering a D60 from Boyce... ...Bummer ;). I guess I'll go for it. Worst case: I buy the D60, a shackle flip, front shackles and 35s. ;)... ...oh ya and a 2nd job. THX Guys. Looks like I can't lose with the Lock-Right.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA

15. Executioner

If you do the install, make sure to follow the instruction, and make the measurements !
    Sometimes the lunch box locker get wrongly blambed, because they are so eaisy to install .
    Thrust washers and the case, can and do wear ! Be Ware........

16. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to replace the thrust washers right front the start.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA

17. Executioner

Thats your choice, but please follow the instructions and make the measurement !
    That measurement should be in bold, and manditory.
    Good luck