Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock Right or EZ-Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5on38s, Sep 8, 2003.

1. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

Ok this isnt for anything huge, its more of a plow truck (86 K5 blazer 305 4" lift 34's), He usually only takes it on the road if it really bad out. But he wants to replace the 10bolt gov-exploder which should he get... and are they good? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have heard people like the ez-locker better

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As a reminder, if the truck already has a Gov-lock then you cannot install a Lock-right or EZ locker unless you also install an open carrier. In my opinion he would be better off just installing a good aftermarket limited slip like an Eaton Posi or Detroit Tru-trac.

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

A nice tight limited slip would be good for a plow truck. When my Gov-Pop /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif exploded in '96, I put in a Auburn limited slip and it's been OK ever since. I have beat the absolute piss /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif out of my 10 bolt rear with 35"s and it has held up well. Not perfect for off-roading, but for a vehicle that's mostly street/snow with a little mud thrown in the mix, it'd be fine.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    i have heard people like the ez-locker better

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where did you hear that? The only ppl I know of that were satified w/ the EZ were those who got the 1st run. After that they were "improved" to be less like the L-R and became a POS. I do not know ANYONE who has an EZ that lasted more that a yrs worth of wheeling. I have heard one or two ppl on the net say that they worked, but they all bought them in the mid/late 90s. The EZ is a POS, stick w/ the L-R. A L-R will last in a K5 w/ 10Bs and 38s untill a shaft lets go. An EZ will NOT last in a K5 w/ a 12B & 35s. Nor will it last in D30 under a CJ5 w/ 33s.

K5on38s; Do a search, this has been covered on here A LOT, but its been quite some time (maybe close to a yr). Either way if he has a Gov'Lock now he will need a new case. While 10B cases are easy to find in a JY, its not realy worth it. Buy a full case diff, either an Auburn LS or a real Detroit would be good choices for what you described.