Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock right up front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jun 26, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Will it be bad to have a lock right up front? I know I won't be able to drive with my front hubs locked in all the time anymore, but I don't make a habit of that anyway. So, what do you guys think, lock right up front a good idea for mud/trail work? I've already got a posi out back.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

yea good idea i have a detroit locker in rear and e-z locker up front which is same as lock rite and i love my set up go for it

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jimjim.coloradok5.com>http://jimjim.coloradok5.com</A> Not all Hispanics drive lowriders

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have a lock right in the front of mine, works great, just start eating your spinach, cause damn, steering is a little harder with the front locker, i think i'm going to put a steering cooler on too.

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ran one for about 2 years or so. Worked fine, I think durability is acceptable in a front, but they are hard to steer. I was glad to have a 14 bolt rear because I drove a lot of stuff in 2wd that required really pounding. I also had 2wd LO capability in my t-case, that helped me only run 4wd when I had to.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly how hard to steer? Really hard? Will it want to go forward in the mud or will it try to walk back sideways.

I too was considering an EZ locker.

Tim

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you can get Keith to reply he has been running a Lock Rite in the front for over a year. He could give you some good info. If you go for it consider a steering box brace and cross over steering.
    One tip on the EZ; skip it and spend the extra for the Lock Rite. If you want I will find my list of broken EZs. Unfortunatly I am on it.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I run a lock rght in the front and an Auburrn out back and it's great. The steering can be fun at times I would think because well... it's a locker.
    Have fun, Shawnboy.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm still kinda on the fence. I can't afford it right now but I wonder if I should put it on the list of future items. I would like the extra traction, but I want the manners too. Would I be able to drive it in 2wd with the front hubs locked? I do that in the winter all the time so I can have 4wd whenever I need it. The snow gets really deep here. The 4x4 show is in August...I might have the money by then, and if I do, I might get one. I'm still interested in more testimonials, and what you guys use your rigs for, with what type of tires, etc.

Tim

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit in the rear and a Detroit EZ locker in the front of a 74 K-5 with 5" lift running 35" BFG Mud T/A's and crossover steering. It steers a little differently than it did with the Trac Lok but I will gladly take that for the difference that it makes. You could still drive with your hubs locked, but probably not in the snow and it would not turn at all in ice with a front locker. If you need to drive in the snow you might should consider an air locker or the new electric one.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...more to think about. I don't have to drive with my hubs locked in, but it would be bad if the road had 6" of snow on it and I couldn't drive in 4wd.

Tim

11. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Doesn't Lock-rite say you can lock one hub and drive that way? I'm pretty sure I remember reading in my manual for my Lock-rite that they say in worst case senario you could drive home with one hub locked in on the front end.

Michael

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt it but I wouldn't do that anyway. I don't need the locker up front bad enough to go through all that. I think I'm going to keep the open diff up front. I can't afford an air locker.

Tim