Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock Right

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LaxRox5, Dec 15, 2002.

1. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

Well I have finally narrowed down the clunk in my rearend to the lock right installed by the PO, but im not sure what could be causing it. I was hoping i could get some pointers on here that might lead me to being able to find out what would need to be done to stop the clunk. It occurs during hard acceleration, but recently it occurs whenever it wants to. I had to park the burb it was so bad. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Speaking from experience /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Check the pins to see if they are in one piece. They break in half when under a lot of stress. Also remove the lockright and inspect the surfaces and look for burrs, chunked out areas on the grooves. Stuff like that.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Some lockrights need a hardened cross pin. If you don't have one, it could be worn to the point of having LOTS of slop. Pull the diff cover and clean it up good. Give it a visual inspection. You should be able to see/feel where the play is.