Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lock rights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright I'm getting close to buying my lockers front and rear. thinking about lock rights. Both axles are 4.10 and I plan to stay that way. Lockrights fit my budget, anyone had bad experience with them?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am planning on running one in my '60 and if Dan doesn't sell me his rear axle, one in my 14 FF.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats my plan, I can get both lockrights for about the price of a detroit for the 60 and I don't have to do gear setup stuff.

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I woludent do it in the rear, WELD it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif the front may last as I have seen in some but, if you want piece of mind, get a detroit . Buid it once build /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it rite ! (not that I am one to talk)....
    Just my .02......

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I refuse to weld the rear of a vehicle i'm going to drive on the street. The only way I'm gonna do it is if I really just have to put this gov lock 14 bolt under my truck and then that's the only option.

I have a lock right in my DD and I've had no issues with that. I would try one in both ends of a set of 1 tons without thinking twice.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had a welded rear in my 10 bolt and I have been considering it. I think I might try it out cause I can just remove the spiders do it then if I have to put a lockright in. I didn't like the welded rear in the 10 bolt but the k5 won't be much in the way of daily driven anymore. It was great for traction but on the street it was a pain.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have been running a lockrite for over 3 years now and like it. I have also installed a few in other rigs.
    heres what I have found.
    Your Pinion pin and thrust washers must be in like new condition. If there is any wear on them its best to buy new ones. Tolerances in lockrites are critical. Less than.005 They are designed for a new diffs. Putting one in an old wore our rear or front end will blow one fast. Even though when installed it may be within tolerances with old parts. The increased load and strain that the locker will put on the parts may cause additional wear bringing everything out of specs.

Use good quality 85-140 gear lube they are a lot quieter.

Keep thinking LockRites if you want lunchbox lockers
    Dont buy a Detorit Easy - Lock! They are a total POS. Everyone I know who has used them broke them. Even on light little jeeps.

8. denver75k5

I will admit that a welded rear is not that much fun in snow or rain , and also wears tires more than a locker.
    But I have also seen too many Lockrites go kerplow in the rear but thats ben with really hairy trails and a lead foot.
    Iv,e also seen a lockrite put a hole in a D35 diff when it let loose but that really doesent count (it's a d35). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Also I have seen them last pretty well in some rigs, so I guess it comes down to either you like em or you dont. And then theres the cost issue too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

what about the Aussie Locker? Don't remember how I found 'em, but htey have a website.

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been running mine for over a month now. No complaints so far. The front one pops like a popcorn machine and is about as loud as a slipping transfer case chain.

The rear I can keep unlocked except for sharp turns. Scrubs off too much speed and then you have to put power to the rubber and it locks up. Long slow turns where you keep the same amount of throttle it stays unlocked.

I do foresee eventual rear axleshaft breakage due to fatigue. It's got horrible axle shaft windup and release. The tires chirp like a Sea Lion when driving around sharp corners.

It's sketchy on ice and snow. If you take off and both tires spin you will slide sideways downhill. I haven't tried in 4wd on the road yet but I bet it's just as bad because then all four will spin.

There is by far superior traction with them though. They're nice in that even if you break a c-clip the clip can't fall out as easily like it can with spiders. I couldn't imagine not having them. For $474 delivered to my door from National Drivetrain it is by far my best offroadability purchase yet.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My plans are for a Detroit locker in the rear, and someday when I get a Dana 60 up front, I'd like to get a ARB air locker.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking Aussie locker cause they just came out so they have some introductory prices but they only make them for the d44. No d60 or 14 bolt applications.

13. denver75k5

Im trying to remember , there is a writeup on the new Aussie locker, Im thinking it was on the pirate board.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pirates main site has that write up. Like I said they have lockers for like 8"(or whatever) toy axles and dana 30s and dana 44s but not 60s or 14 bolts.

15. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I had less than stellar results with a rear pop-right in my 12 bolt..so on round two i bought a new rear carrier...all new side gear shims...hardend cross pin...double checked all the tollerances per their sheet...35's and 4.10's are just to much for them...i kept breaking the pins and tearing up the cogs in the inner plates...so i parked the truck until i could afford a real locker...and so far the detroit is actually quieter than the pop-right...and no failures from the rocks of az...to moab and the trails of colorado...matter of fact there is a member trying to sell a lightly used 12 bolt lockright on the board...$300.

DW

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just wish something was available for gov-bomb carriers. They make them to fit in trac-loc carriers, why not a 14 FF gov bomb carrier?

17. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Aussie Lockers are coming out for a model for the sixty in jan-feb..which will be the bandwagon I jump onto. Unfortunatly due to the size they say the intro pricing will not apply.

Anyone want to sell my a 4.56 and up carrier? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

score the aussie locker.. pretty cheap and suposedly an improved lockrite-like locker. lots of chit chat over at POR about it. Im thinkin of putting one in my toy buggy..

j