Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lock Rite or Spool or other?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I was originally going to put a Lock Rite in my Dana 60 but now im thinking about other options. Maybe a spool or other locker in the same price range. My limit is about $350 and no im not getting a Detroit I know theyre the best but I cant afford it. I need a locker that will hold up to my current 37's and maybe 38's or 39's later. I dont wheel my truck hard, just enough to get me where I want to go, my 44 has held up well to the 37's with only one axle break so far in a year, so obviously im not too hard on it. I just need something as strong as the rest of the 60 which will have 30 spline outers and hubs. Do you think a spool would hold up? Or should I go with the Lock Rite. Any other lockers in my range I should look at?

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

the spool willl hold up just not sure your stock inner and outers or hubs will....I was going to go with a lockrite but I changed my mind. and decided to go with a full spool. I'm was going to run hydro assist anyways.... I know for sure when I go with the spool I'll be running yukon inner and outers and some drive flanges....

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Aussie locker if they make one for a 60. Same price, better reputation and no tire size limit for their warranty. I would recommend a locker over a spool.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I made my own spool by removing and welding the spider and side gears so they cannot rotate. Having said that I have not wheeled this yet but it would seem it would be no different than a detroit as far as shafts are concerned. I do know that Hydro Assist is a must if doing any rock. On dirt I can turn just fine in 4wd but on something with traction it is almost impossible to turn the steering wheel:doah: .

Ira

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I prefer a spool(mines welded).. But if you need to turn on the trail while in 4wd(and cant pop it in and out).. I'd suggest trying a Lock-Rite or Aussie Locker. I have to pop my t-case into 2wd to turn with my hubs locked in. This is on flat hard packed dirt though. In mud, I imagine it wouldn't turn very well.

I'd suggest saving up for an ARB. That would be your best choice!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Lockright. It should hold up to 37-40" tires. Matt (az-k5) snapped a 30 spline D60 stub shaft with his lockright and sofar it had no ill affects. I run a lockright in my 10 bolt front and I am very pleased with its performance. I have used it pretty hard with 35" and 37" tires in the rocks and it has held up just fine.

Harley

7. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Ok I think id rather have a Lock-Rite, so where should I order one from?

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Spools wont break and tear up the inside like a locker will. They both have pros and cons but I ended up spooling front and rear on mine.