Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lock up torque converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what is the best way to figure out if my lock up torque converter selenoid is operating or not. i know some people can tell by listening, but is there some way to tell with a volt meter. if there is, which wires do i hook the volt meter to?

2. ChickenRammit

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

This isn't exactly what you requested, but these are easy ways to check if the TCC is locking up:

If you have a tach, you could get on a steady, level cruise at near-highway speed, then tap the brake pedal very gently (keep the gas pedal depressed as if you were still cruising) and look for a rpm increase of around 2-400 rpm (or thereabouts) when the TCC disengages.

If your exhaust isn't whisper-quiet, a sharp ear might pick out that same rpm increase when the brake pedal is tapped during a steady cruise.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You should be able to FEEL the lockup converter engage. Count gear shifts while accelerating quite easily, you should feel the converter as the "5th" gear.

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Often 700r4s are wired to lock the TCC in 4th only. This makes it difficult to feel the TCC lockup because it occurs just after the 3-4 shift. The lock up solenoid should read about 25 ohms. If your reading is significantly less the solenoid may have shorted out. You have to measure between 2 pins on the case connector or between one of the pins and the case itself. It just depends on how it is wired. As 1985_K5_Silverdo mentioned the best way to tell if the TCC is locking is to watch your RPMs and force it to unlock.

6. ChickenRammit

its actually a 4l60e mated to a 5.7 votec, but what dyeager just said answered my question, because i was driving and i felt what seemed like a 5th gear and i was wondering what the hell it was. thanks for the replies everyone, i feel a lot better now, knowing that i have it wire correctly.