Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockcylinder help, I'm stuck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CutlassKid85, Feb 5, 2007.

1. CutlassKid85

CutlassKid85 Registered Member

Alright the the lock cylinder stuck on my truck and I ended up snapping the key off in it.

I already got the wheel and lock ring off but now I'm lost. I can't get the cylinder out. I did a search and found this:
    but I don't know what part to break out, can some one point it out to me. My truck is a 77 K5 Blazer non-tilt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here ya go
    Column cyl (Small).JPG

Column cyl (Small).JPG

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, since Im quoted, I should help you out:

In pic #2, its the recessed section at about the 1'oclock position, just before you hit the screw hole for the turn signal switch. Knock out that 1/16" x 3/8" rectangle with a screw driver and a hammer.

However: First see if there is a tab sticking down into the hole at the 2'oclock position first, if there is, push it up and pull out on the lock cylinder, that is how most are held in. If no movement, you get to break out that section.

Make sure whatever lock cylinder you get to replace it has a large tab at the very back to lock it down, not just the piddley little one accessed thru hole at 2oclock, otherwise it wont stay in your column! (I believe the one I bought for my 73 had said large tab, and the one I bought for my 78 didnt - both ordered via Chevyduty)

4. CutlassKid85

alright still stuck. I checked it for the tab, knocked that little section out, and I'm not seeing anything to depress. any other methods to getting this sucker out?

5. 1979chevystepside

1979chevystepside Registered Member

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

DUDE!!!
    Call a locksmith, they have a pig tail looking tool that threads in AROUND the broken key and pulls it right out.
    No need to go tearing your column apart.

8. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

is it rotated in the housing, or at the off position?
    that above method should work either way... hmmm i dunno maybe its time to break down and call the locksmith.

9. CutlassKid85

Finally just got it out with the help of my mechanic friend. We were working on the part for the last 1/2 hour.

big thanks to you guys for the help :waytogo:

10. mike105105

mike105105 Registered Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am having troubles removing the ignition on my 77 blazer. I knocked out the slot section of metal and I also looked around in the other opening and I can not feel or see and type of release. I lost my keys so I am hoping I do not need to have the cyl turned. I marked up cutlasskid's photo to show what I tried.

Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

11. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Uhm, at the risk of sounding like a know it all asshat. Do you have access to a drill? If so, just drill straight down the key hole with a 3/8's or larger bit, when you get to the bottom of the cylinder stop do not drill through to outside (bottomside) of the cyllinder. At this point things should start falling out of the cylinder.
    Do not be afraid of your hammer and chisel, I've never had one of these kick my ass. iff you see the snap rig looking thing that holds in the cylinder in try moving it with a small screwdriver...