Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locked 12 bolt, and open 44 with 4.56 gears for $500 ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Dec 14, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I found a set that was just rebuilt about 6 months ago. I can buy them right now for $500, maybe a little less. Do you guys think it's worth it? I've got an '88 on 33's, and it's my daily driver. Right now I just do some light wheeling. And my K5 is going to sit for the most part for the next year. I need something that I won't have to worry about next summer when my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif makes a trip from here to Missouri. Without me, and the person driving it, probably won't know crap about fixing anything if it breaks.

Right now my 10 bolt rear is making some vibrations and noises that dont' make me comfortable. I've had 3 people tell me that it's probably my carrier bearings.

For those that remember my last post like this, I need to worry about my rear axle first, so I can't afford the Dana 60 right now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: and again: locked 12 bolt, and open 44 with 4.56 gears

Are you moving to MO?

3. rick88blaze

Re: and again: locked 12 bolt, and open 44 with 4.56 gears

no, actually in February I leave for S. Korea for a year. my wife will be moving to Missouri in June to stay with her family until I return in Feb. '05. Then we'll be stationed at Offutt AFB, Neb. about 20 miles south of Omaha, Neb. I was stationed in Missouri from Feb, '95 until Dec. '00.

Rick

4. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good deal if they check out get them.

5. rick88blaze

I haven't had a chance to pull the covers off yet, but all of the bearings felt solid in both axles. also the 12 bolt has new axle shafts. and the posi seemed to work good, (it's an Auburn Posi). the only reason i'm not sure about this, is because i'm planning on going up in lift 4" to 6" after I get back from Korea. then going to 35" tires at a minumum.

but, I also need a good, dependable rear axle to get the truck from here to Missouri, and possibly on up to Illinois. that's why i'm still debating on the 14bff.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

$500 doesn't sound too bad if both axles are completely rebuilt. I just sold my D44 & 12b for $325 but they needed a complete rebuild.

For about $500 you could buy a 14BFF, put in new wheel bearings, seals, disk brakes and buy 2 new wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. rick88blaze

I thought about that too. but i've only got until the end of January to make sure that my truck is road ready for a 1400 mile trip. I'm going to check around some more this week for other deals on axles, and try to go back and take a look at the 44/12 with the covers off to see what the gears look like.

I'm not too concerned about making sure the gears are matched up either. my truck is going to be with family for the next year. if the 4WD doesn't work, that's less temptation for them to go play in my truck too. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's a pretty good deal. What locker? a Detroit for a 12 goes for $500+ alone.

9. rick88blaze

I'm pretty sure it's an Auburn. $424 in a 4WPW ad.

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

that sounds like a good deal too me if both axles are in very good-good shape. have you considered that 4.56s and 33s is pretty low for the freeway?

11. rick88blaze

if i get them, i'll try them out. if i think the rpm's are too high, i'll get a couple of used 35's to put on the back.

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

sounds like a plan

13. rick88blaze

Talked him down to $400 for both axles. I'll pick them up in a few days. (as long as he doesn't sell them out from under me before I can get over there with the cash). /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I can't wait to feel how much more torque I get with 4.56 gears on 33's instead of 3.42's./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

P.S. I decided to go with these instead of a 14 bolt so that i dont' have to get different rims. at least with these all i'll have to do is pretty much just bolt them in, and use the same rims and tires. then when i get up to Nebraska in '05, I'll look for a 14bff with 4.56's and the 8 lug outters for the dana 44.