Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locked and ready to Rock.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Yes! I now have a Lock-Rite locker in my rig. Woo Hoo! I can't wait to hit the trail. Thanks Marv for all the help, you ROCK!

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Did you weld it, or did you really buy a locker?

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Yeah Marv got me a smokin' deal on a Lock-Rite. It still put a big dent in my budget. It's what I call an unplanned expense. I was planning to spend the money elsewhere, but the lift will have to wait. PS I'm still planning to get that sway bar disconnect from you.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I love my Lock Right. The hardest part about installing it for me was removing the Auburn and installing an open carrier. One of these days I'll put the Auburn up front. WOOOOOHOOOOOOO Wish I could party with you guys this weekend but we have OT available and I gotta take it. We need to do Martinez canyon again, better yet! ROCKY POINT before it gets too hot.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I put mine (Lock Rite) put in the D60 front yesterday. Only problem was getting that #)%(* roll pin out so I could get the cross shaft out. Getting that one roll pin out took longer than the entire remainder of the process.

So, now I've got to get the hydro assist on to be able to turn. And, my luck (SOL again) Avalanche (or UPS) screwed up on my "second day" delivery. I ordered it Monday morning around 9 a.m. and the guy promised he would see that it went out on Monday for Wed delivery. Well, got the tracking number today so I could see about when it would be here, UPS show it not picked up until 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday night! Guy at Avalanche swears it went out before 5:00 p.m. on Monday and that UPS has screwed up everything lately. I don't know who to believe, but looks like I'll have the stuff for my tie rod tomorrow. At least I can get my tie rod in (bent my old one on Ajax) even if the hydro doesn’t make it. Gotta finish the brackets for the stacked plate P.S. cooler, build and mount brackets for the ram, replumb the hydro-boost brakes, power steering and ram to co-exist along with the cooler, AND swap pumps plus add extra capacity to the pump. Sheesh, all that has to happen tomorrow or else I’ll be here working on it Friday night instead of coming up to camp...

6. Crusarius

Crusarius 1/2 ton status

damn russ should have bought a Jeep /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BadDog

Yeah, but then I would have to replace EVERYTHING. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. Crusarius

Crusarius 1/2 ton status

nah just the actual Jeep parts

good news though Ford parts are almost bolt in /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. BadDog

And you think that's a *good* thing??? LOL! Wait till Matt sees this. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Crusarius

Crusarius 1/2 ton status

could be worse /forums/images/icons/smile.gif could be samurai parts

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

So you went w/ the lock-right----cool deal----hey, i was talking w/ marv and he said you had a good setup for your rear shocks---care to give me some insight--i just got my shocks and don't know how i should mount them.

that damn roll pin gave me problems too. he he

Dan

12. BadDog

Sure, I'll post some pics, but it will have to wait till next week. I'm in a last minute scramble to try to get my truck ready for Terminator this weekend and I won't have much time for pics. Basically, I build another cross member that mounts about 1.5' behind the axle. The top of the shocks are about 15" apart, and the bottom are set way outboard on the axle. Basic idea was to angle the shocks to effectively increase their range of motion and reduce the rate of dampening for small up-down movements of the springs. With 5012s, that give me a nice shock rate for smaller bumps. However, when the Springer swing arms start to unload, the axle begins to travel more forward, pivoting on the front spring eyes and going more directly inline with the shocks, resulting in a higher shock rate. Same when they start coming back in, they are directly fighting the shock. The main reason I wanted the tremendous amount of flex that you get with the Springer is for roll control, not for traction (which is what lockers are for). This way when I have a wheel drooped way down, and the weight shifts dropping the body/frame onto the drooped tire, you don’t get a violent shift, the higher shock rate provides a gradual shift. Worked really well on Ajax, I’m looking forward to seeing how it works on Terminator…

Also, keeping the top more outboard, as opposed to almost in the center as is the norm, results in better side to side (body roll) control as well.

Hope this makes sense. If you don't here from me with posted pics early next week, remind me. I spent all week working on the truck and now I'll have to scramble next week to get other things caught back up so I may forget. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif