Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locked front end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXFSHRMAN, Jan 12, 2006.

1. TXFSHRMAN

TXFSHRMAN Registered Member

ok well im here wondering whether or not to lock my front end or not...its a stock 10bolt and im running 37 right now....the rear has the factory limited slip.....should i do this or go with a beefier axle up front....does anyone have a locked 10bolt and how is it holding up?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on future plans. IMO if you EVER want to run bigger tires than those 37s, save your money and get a better front axle. If 37s is as big as you'll ever go, then a selectable locker or trutrac might hold up for ya.

j

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

My son runs a lockrite 10 bolt with 37s. He has broken stuff. We keep a spare set of axles around. It kinda depends on how you wheel. Hard on the skinney pedal, you will break stuff.
    You can find a set of axles for like 50 bucks. It's not that hard to replace 'em. I say go for it.

4. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

I have been running 38x12.50x15's on a stock Dana 44 front with a welded diff for a while now and it is holding up fine. I do keep a spare set of axles around though because it is only a matter of time before "snap, crackle, pop--axle pieces." Keep running it until it breaks it helps you learn your limits.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

with 37s you'll be pushing it, but if you go easy then you should be ok. ive got some shafts forsale in the axle forum if your interested.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am running a Lockrite in the front with 10 bolts and 33 Mts. Been locked for many yeas. The axle is holding up fine. But It does wear out U joints. I am pretty easy on the gas when I have the front locked and usually run with one hub locked out till I need it. As other posts said 37" is really pushing it with 10 bolts. Personally I would not go over 33" with a front locker if you dont want to break stuff.
    I am Getting tired of having the lockrite in the front and having to turn the hubs in and out. Plus the thing is really noisy on the front. I am ditching the lockrite and going to install either an Auburn or Eaton electric locker. I am leaning towards the Auburn because it is a LS when unlocked. The Eaton is open when un locked. I like the idea of having a selectable locker. Might even pull my Detriot put one on the back too.

7. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

i would put a locker in the back first. I am running the factory limited slip, and I wish i had a locker last night at like 1 in morning. (got the truck stuck in a snow drift..... who knew there would be snow in january?)

8. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

They break 10 bolt axles and U joints.

*no for sale ads in the garage please*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2006
  9. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

That's simply not good advice. Lockers don't break anything. The right foot does :D (And I thought the Garage wasn't supposed to be the 'For Sale' forum :rolleyes: - edit: Rene, you're really good :wink1: ).

I'm running an ARB in my 10-bolt front (with not-quite 35" MTRs) for some 2 1/2 years now, and I've finally incurred damage in the form of a U-joint caps that decided to proceed on its own (I'm not posting a picture since you can look it up in the February issue of Offroad Magazine...:D ). Like others, I carry a set of spare shaft assemblies - inconvenient to swap one in, but not such a big deal after all. There's been many a trail with no problems from the front end (including Pritchett Canyon in Moab), and after all the U-joints appeared to be the originals from '85 (I couLd probably have prevented the breakage with preemptive maintenance and new U-joints, but I was on the 'If-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it' trip, and I was busy at the time building my wife's truck :D...).

A lot of your decision depends on $$, how you actually use your truck, and what trails and obstacles you want to run. 37" tires appear to be the max for 1/2 ton axles, if you decide to go for a locker, I'd go for a selectable one because it gives you a choice: you can actually decide whether you want to lock it up front on that high-traction off-camber rocky ledge, one tire bound up, and the steering wheel turned all the way to the right, :D :D - it'll be a good show for everyone for a short moment...or whether you may want to choose another line to keep your front axle alive. If you don't want to think about this and simply hammer it with your 37s, don't bother locking your 1/2 ton front, get a 1-ton axle. If you do that, be prepared to spend a bunch of $$, because you'll need to buy the axle, go over it (i.e. bearings, seals, and brakes - and all the D60 front's Ive seen lately in the 'I've got a D60'-posts needed all new brakes, badly), and then you're still open in the front and you need to buy a front locker.

Anyways, just as a disclaimer, my personal philosophy is " 'wheel it NOW and have fun" and not "build it right the first time, and maybe 'wheel in three years when it's finally off the jack stands and you can actually afford the money for gas again, but now the new family won't like it or the divorce got in the way and the truck is for sale someone please buy my stuff". :D :wink1:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006