Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locked her up today!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I was heading to work this afternoon driving down the road doing about 40-45mph while the rest of traffic is doing about 50mph but I try to keep my speed a little less being that my rig is pretty big so I give people space so they don't freak on me, that's another story.

So I'm driving down the road when this lady behind me in a new BMW speeds up, changes lanes then cuts back in front of me which I used to get pissed at but now I don't sweat it because I understand that it freaks some people out to not be able to see around me and only see tires so by all means if they want to speed up and go around I couldn't care less.

So she gets in front of me and about 1/8 mile down the road she is about to miss her turn and she slams on the brakes. Ok now we all know that a new BMW stops a little faster than my old K10 with my 38.5X16 Mickey's and stock brakes so I decide what the heck lets slam on them and cross our fingers!

To my surprise my tired brakes did very well, no joke it locked up the front....45 to locked in a matter of seconds but my back drums just couldn't stop that much rollin' rubber so you can probably figure out what happened. The front is chirpin' and barking like crazy to the point that I can smell the rubber as if I was doing a burn out while I'm sliding. The back tires were still spinning a little which makes the truck start to fish tail. Anyways I slid for quite a ways and ended up with the back end of my truck in the lane to the right of me.

The tires were so loud and the sight of me sliding down the road cleared everyone else out of the way yet this lady didin't even get out or stop, when cross traffic had a break she turned in and left me sitting there and everyone on the street looking on in shock. I'll put it this way, I had a little help from above because my front bumper was over her trunk by the time I got it stopped!

Just thought I should share my experineces since I've been gone for a little while and I'll be busy for the next few days and nights finishing up construciton for VBS.

-Avery

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

very good story.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

your brakes worked the way they were supposed to. if your back locked up you would have fish tailed alot worse...the fronts are supposed to lock up first

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yuppers... I had a similar experience..but almost took out an expedition.... I forgive him cuz he drives a ford :haha:

my drums locked and my fronts didnt.... fish tailed like you wouldnt believe.. scared the chit out of me... made me think twice about all the parts I had in my garage for the rear disc swap.... now with the rear disc it is soooo nice.. I think my rear drums were adjusted too much....

even when I went through inspection the guy said that my truck stopped alot better than the truck that was just in there... another fullsize chevy on 38's with drum rears......:wink1:

glad ya missed her....

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

She wasn't being rude, she just needed to get the pee off of her leather seats....

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

At least you didn't have to buy a new BMW by force, luck was on your side.
    I can not even lock my brakes in my burb, I only have 35's!!

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

nothin like a little adrenilne and close call to get the blood flowin eh? I too had similar experiences first i locked the rears in the pickup goin down the freeway when somebody desided they wanted to go from theyre lane to where i was, then locked the fronts on the burb when i wasnt paying attention and someone was making a turn in front of me. good times, as long as you dont here a crunch.

8. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

ha should have ruined that biches day. would have been one sweet jump!
    that happened to me in my 70 camaro i was going like 80 (standard freeway speed in MI) with only one person in front of me so i get over a lane now they are about a 1/2 mile in front of me going like 30 remind you on the freewayin the lane to my right i get like 60 feet away and i dont know if they were trying to flip this k-car or what but this thing had body roll and im sure you know they cut in front of me i down shift slam on the brakes go around them sideways on the left slide over 3 lanes to the right and end up on the off ramp going around someone on the right between him and a lightpost i get on a side street shut the car off walk around it no damage get in to go home and knock knock knock over reved the motor spun #6
    sorry i got a litte carried away not to steal your thread or anything but what a rush!

9. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

:yikes: ONE of the reasons I refuse to drive in Cali....

10. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

drive through boston sometime. :D

11. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not stealing my thread, I figured that you all had some good stories too.

I am sooo glad that I missed her because if I hit her I would never see the end of the crap it would bring, a 17 year old's insurance would sky rocket after an incident like that. Not to mention the stuff she would probably try to sue me for, wiplash etc.

If she would have looked in her mirror all she would have seen was my liscence plate. That's how close I was so I do feel pretty lucky.

-Avery

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

naww when I am in Boston I park the car in the harbour yard and get a taxi!

13. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Ahhh! The joys of driving big toys around freakin Idiots:rolleyes:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Amen!!!!

Yeah,no S***!!!...I avoid Boston like the plauge!..its bad enough here in the suburbs,thanks to all the yuppies moving down to where I live from Boston..all of Massachussetts is a frigging death trap now..nobody obeys the speed limit, always darting in and out of traffic..and talking on a damm cell phone and paying little attention to the road..

Last sunday coming home from CT,on Rt.495,I was in the left lane going 65 mph,or a bit more..some boob is pushing me from behind,only inches from my bumper,flashing his high beams and honking(in broad daylight!)...then I come up on another moron as I top a hill,talkin on the phone,going about 35 mph in the PASSING lane,in front of me!!!...Oh F***!!!....:doah: :eek1: :yikes: .....I hit the brakes hard,trying not to lose control..but my empty C10 pickup had other plans..

The back tires lock up,and I left 500 ft of skid marks,and my truck didn't slow down hardly at all!--and the rear end slides out, and nearly clips the gaurd rail!...the moron was driving a late model Volvo,and at the last minute they decided to swerve into the right hand lane,across 2 lanes of traffic,without even signalling,probably because they thought I was going to hit them!..then they speed up,and take an exit at 50mph,like they knew I was pissed enough to chase them down and beat them to death!.. The guy behind me must have stained HIS shorts too--he never got closer than 500 ft after the near death experience we just had..he flew by me at 100 mph in the second lane and flips me off a few minutes later...I returned his salute!..:mad:

I wish I was a cop when I'm driving around here--seems like every boob who cant drive pulls some kind of boner every time I get behind them,or when they are coming towards me..I especially hate itwhen a car comes to a stop at a side street,and I'm 700 ft away..they WAIT until I'm almost on top of them..THEN they pull right in front of me,like I'm invisible or something...good thing I don't own a gun!~...:mad: ..

The "Rotary Circles" here are another nighmare,especially during summer months,when all the "tourists" go thru here on the way to Cape Cod..they should build a fire station right in the center of it--they are there every 15 minutes cutting someone out of a crushed car...:doah:

A state trooper was killed on Rt.495 yesterday morning not far from here..he hit a late model Chevy 1 ton dump parked in the breakdown lane at 70 mph or more--they think he fell asleep,he was on his way home from a night construction job,and was only 10 miles from home.....he was 39,and has 7 kids..I feel bad for his family...:(

Rt.495 is becoming as bad as Rt.128 is near Boston lately...I fear for my life every time I go for a ride around here lately...used to be a nice ride to my sisters house 65 miles away..now its like a mad max movie every time I go..:crazy:

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dude that trooper lives in my neighborhood!!! Yesterday they had a road block at the end of my street to keep the reporters out. NECN showed up and was setting their cameras and since I was in my yard the reporter guy came over and asked if I wanted to do an interview. I didn't really know the guy or his family so I said no out of respect for their family. The Staties then came over and made them pack up and leave. They also turned away channel 4 too.
    Today I have been seeing many cops going in and out of their house.

Also let be redundant, MASSACHUSETTS DIRVERS SUCK!!! :mad:

16. TDTK5

TDTK5 Registered Member

Ill agree that that boston is the worst, and Ive driven in Boston, LA, San Deigo, Virginia Beach, And all over inbetween

17. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've had the same thing happen many times, some tard pull infront of me and jam on their brakes for an exit or something...

The last time I locked the rears up (my short step is really bad for that, but I can't seem to turn the drums down, just auto adjust back to where they are) was with a deer.

I was coming around a 45 degree or so blind corner at about 35 miles an hour, and suddenly there is a stupid doe standing right in the middle of the road. I jammed on the brakes, the rear slid out, I drifted right around her and was able to catch my slide without hitting the ditch. I left a good 100 yard strip of rubber on the road, and a big cloud of smoke.

Dumb animal just stood there the whole time, and didn't take off until after I came to a dead stop about 200 yards after catching my slide to let my heart stop pounding :rolleyes:

18. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Haha... done that about 3 or 4 times in my work truck... I'm a veteran. lol

I've always been impressed with how good stock brakes haul down my k5 with 35's I've never doubted that things stopping ability.

My work truck is whole different story... that thing stoppeds like a semi... its about 3k pounds overloaded with welders, torches, etc. I work with a guy that served in the marines for 8 years...he said he's been shot at and he's never been that scared...

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A sad loss...

Yes,they certainly do!..and after you drive here awhile,you find yourself developing some of the same bad habits as the others here--when in rome,do as the romans do--or get run over,or run off the road!..:mad: ..I try to obey the laws,but no one else seems to..

Its a bit sickening to see the sattelite news trucks flocking around a tradgety scene like buzzards after someone gets killed,etc..reminds me of that "Dirty Laundry" song Don Henley had out years ago..why not leave a greiving family ALONE??...I love it when someone comes to the door,and they just say "get the F*** outta here!!..thats what I'd say if it were me that just lost a family member...

I lament the loss of another "Statie"...while I hate nothing more than getting pulled over,I realize they are only trying to keep us from hurting others or ourselves. I do wish they would do more traffic stops,instead of paying them 40 bucks and hour to watch them dig holes and fill them in again--we need them on the road doing enforcement MUCH more in my opinion..

(I've only been stopped about 4 times since I got my licence nearly 30 years ago--last time was at least 2 years ago--and it was a neighborhood cop I live close to,that was just trying to give me a scare,he was just goofing around!--I've never had to pay a ticket yet,I always got off with a written warning --but that doesn't mean I'm an angel either--I just didn't get caught when I did burnouts or doughnuts!..:rolleyes: )...

There is far too little enforcement of the speed and driving laws in general here,now there is one LESS cop to slow down stupid drivers..that are often stoned on crack if you ask me,judging by the way they drive and act on the roads...

One thing I notice is every GM truck I have owned has very "touchy" rear brakes after sitting overnight or longer--worse when it rains out..its nearly impossible not to lock up the rear wheels when the trucks bed is empty..I think rust forms overnight on the drums,then after a few stops,it burns off and they dry out,and aren't as "grabby"....makes it difficult to stop on wet roads..spins easy when taking off too!:doah: ..I've done more than one unintended 180 spinout in all my trucks!..

My 74 K20 was a 3 ton behemoth too...A big channel 900 lb.iron flatbed,a crane,and sideboards!(and dont forget the PLOW!):eek1: ---its brakes only grabbed good enough to lock the rears up as described abouve on the first drive-off of the day--the rest of the time,especially if it was loaded heavily,I could stand up on the pedal and never lock ANY of the wheels!..its like Beastofblaze said--it'd scare a Marine!...made me stain my shorts a few times..I was lucky to never have hit anyone in that truck..it was "like a rock"..kept right on rolling!..:crazy: