Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locked Up A/C Compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by behemoth, Sep 5, 2000.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

My A/C compressor blew out (locked up) Sunday on the way to a dove hunt! I smelled rubber burning, so I pulled off the highway and popped the hood and sure as hell the belt was smokin'! I just cut it off right there since that belt didn't run anything but the compressor.

I'm thinking of trying to find another compressor at the junk yard, but I haven't replaced one for a long time and was wondering if there's any special precautions I need to be aware of before I jump into this. Can I get a rebuilt one cheaper?

I don't anticipate needing the A/C since it's the end of summer and all. Is there any harm driving around without it?

I appreciate any advice/opinion(s), etc. from the K5 guru's!

behemoth K5

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had to the same thing happen to me, and it ended up being a faulty compressor clutch. $34 for a new part and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure why the compressor locks up when the clutch fails, though. Was I ever relieved to find out that it wasn't the compressor itself!!!

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

You would probably be better off trying to get one at an autoparts store. More costly, yes, but at least you get some kind of warranty. I wouldn't recommend getting one out of a used vehicle, unless the motor is running and you can tell that it works, you don't know how much trash is in the system. If you replace it, make sure to change the accumulator and the expansion valve to get all/most of the trash out of the system. - Steve

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

remanufactured ones aren't too bad. mine was 85.00 from autozone, that was a while ago too.

"who dares wins"