Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker - 14BFF Axle flange bolts loosening

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Sep 18, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I noticed an oil leak from the axle flange on Saturday. To my surprise, all of the axle flange bolts had completely backed off. Anyone else had issues with axle flange bolts coming loose post installation of a locking diff?

It's all sealed up again and torqued to 115lbs so I'll monitor them closely now. Just curious if this was an anomalie.:confused:

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

do the bolts have lock washers on them? did you torque them correctly the first time? I havent heard any problems with bolts backing out with a locker, Ive had my locker in there for 6-7 months and do alot of street driving and I havent had any issues with it yet. If it does it again, which it shouldnt, use a little loctite on the bolts too.

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Did they come OEM with lockwashers? mine do not have any lock washers. Should I run by fastenal and grab a sac of lock washers while I have my axle shafts out anyway?

There is some sort of brittle seal that goes between the hub and axle shaft flange. What is the part number for that so I can put a new one on when I put the shafts back on. (or would I just be better off using some RVT?

-hijack off-

4. 78Suburban

axle seal.jpg

this little guy right here.. is there a part number for it, or do you reuse it, or can you just use a glob of RVT instead??

axle seal.jpg

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

James, there is a part number for it but I don't know if off the top of my head. You might want to check in the parts number post. I know mine are NOT brittle, mine are made of sheet metal.

6. 78Suburban

mine are metal too actually.. I was having a brainfart.. I'll just brake cleaner then and coat them with RVT.. thanks for the info Jeff :waytogo:

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Mine sealed fine after locker install and havent loosened. Try a little Loctite on the threads.

8. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

No problems with mine.If torqued to specs,it seems like sufficient torque for them to never back out.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

mine would loosen up with a detroit and a heavy foot. longer bolts, lock washers and locktight did the trick

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

That has happen to me like 3 times now... I thought it had to be the fact that I'm running a spool... but it hasn't do it for awhile now... just keep checking it and make sure u use some locktight....

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Loctite and lockwashers. Atleast mine had lockwashers when I took them off. I also only use RTV on the flanges I do not have gaskets. Make sure it is clean and let it skim up before bolting it down good and tight.

Ira

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I have bought new gaskets at Bumper-to-Bumper....just like the factory gaskets, made of metal.

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've had the Detroit in my 14BFF for over a year now and I have never had those bolts loosen up. I have checked them a few times before wheeling and they have been tight.

When I rebuilt my axle, I reused those stock flange gaskets with out any leaks so far. I just cleaned them and slapped 'em on.:D