Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SVBlazer, Mar 31, 2002.

1. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've been advised to update (thanks marv springer), my rear diff in preparation for blazer bash 02. So the question is which "box locker" to buy?

Please let me know your experiences with LockRite, Powertrax, Detroit E-Z locker etc.

Before you all start..I know, a new carrier and true locker is a better fix. I just have the time a money for the quick fix...

Blazer details: 85, 2.5 inch lift, open 10 bolts, 3.73s, 33s, 383 and 700R4.

Thanks in advance!

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I don't have any experience, but I have never heard anything good about the E-Z locker. The LockRite is supposed to be pretty durable, but a litte loud. I believe the Powertrax is basically just an upgraded LockRite for smoother and quieter operation.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is no such thing as a quick fix, just as there is no such thing as a cheap fix. Do it right the first time and never do it again. Extra money spent now is money well saved later.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The powertrax hold up better to bigger tires, and last longer than the lock right. The detroit ez lockers suck stay away from them.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have 33's, 3.73's and I love my Lock Right. I had an Auburn that was "all burned" out. The Lock Right clicks a little bit but it's not loud. And I crawl up stuff I used to work hard at. It cost me $250 and once I got my open carrier installed it took less than an hour to install it and fill up the diff and test drive it. It's really simple.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you plan on getting a 14bff down the line, or plan on ditching your current axle for something else then just get one of the lockers you mentioned. If you don't plan on upgradeing then do it right the first time. Get a Detroit, or an ARB.

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I too have been looking for an insertable locker, I was looking at the genuine gear "quick lok." They are made by tractech and cost only $280 for a 12 bolt. Anyone have any experience with these?

8. mudober

mudober Registered Member

I have 78 Jimmy with a lock rite 35 inch Gumbos,3.73 gears,208/700R4 406small Chevy EDL. Package.
    It makes a clicking noise when turning if your off the power.
    When i"m on pavement I try to coast around corners.I love the attention I get in parking lots.I've had it on one front & one rear
    & done some posi burn outs hasn"t broke in the three years its been in.

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have three Lock Right lockers. They are good stuff. Just another way to "do it right" and they are cheap.

Makes me laugh, lotta times the same people who are against drop in lockers are against lockers in general and are still running open diffs. They don't follow their own advicce AND they get stuck a lot LOL!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes I plan on a 14ff down the road, ARBs with 4.10/4.56, but that's another issue. Just got to get right for Blazer Bash!

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Unfortunately they don't make an ARB for the 14 FF.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

weld the rear
    lockrite the front

13. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

I've got a Powertrax and I love the little guy. Every once and a while I get some racheting from him, but other than that No Problems at all. MJ brought up a good point of welding the rear, I don't plan to upgrade to 14 bolts, Plenty of 12 bolts out there to throw the chunk w/ gears Powertrax and disc brakes on. And I figure if I haven't broken it yet, I probably won't. Went throw some rough stuff during the rainy season here in GA.
    Good Luck
    Luke