Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker Handling Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Dec 13, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of putting a lock right in the front of my truck, and want to know:
    Do these affect handling while in 2WD, with the hubs locked?
    I know I could unlock the hubs, but I'd like to know if they are locked, will I feel the locker shifting around even if I don't put any power to it?

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt drive it like that on the street .

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

totally different animal

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

nuh uh , they are both lockers ! bwahaha jokeing his will go click click while just, well wont steer correctly , right ?

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I cannot give an answer to that based on personal experience.

RedDwarf and others that run detroits or lockrites up front I have queried have stated that if there is no input torque at the pinion the locker doesnt effect anything.
    at least that is my understanding of it.

a limited slip like the powerlock I run definitely effects steering anytime the hubs are locked

6. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Read an artical in perterson 4wof ( or might have been 4x4 Power man i mis that mag ) anyway they put a locker up front and said in 4wd bearly could steer but while the hubs were locked before turns theyed shift into 2hi and it acted fine so with hubs locked with no torque id say youll be ok but ive never tried it. ( I run a posi up front )

7. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a powertrax no slip up front and when the hubs are locked and in 2hi I can feel it disengage but not engage. I started out not liking it at all now I like it a little more. Too noisy new. Much quieter now. While in 4wheel I had outstanding traction. So far I only drove it in the snow on the street. Just have to get used to both front tires grabbing. While I was puting it in I replaced ALL my u-joints. That was fun. I can't wait to take the blaze off road. But after I put my 4" on.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is my limited take on it. I have only driven my truck in 4x4 with the front locker once since the install and only for about 1 mile of dirt road.

I climbed a rocky loose hill with it and was impressed with the traction. Then when I was done I drove about 400 yards of dirt roads with turns before i disengaged 4x4 and then another 3/4 mile with it in 2hi.

In 4x4 low on dirt it acted like my welded rear does on the street takeing a corner. You can feel it start to understeer and not want to turn. I didn't try and sharp turns so I can't comment on that, just mild to moderate turns on dirt. when I disengaged 4x4 I still felt the understeer until I unlocked the hubs. So yes, i did feel it engaged when it was in 2hi, but it didn't seem as bad turning in 2hi as it did in 4x4, I suppose because the tires weren't trying to grab and pull as they would in 4x4.

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was told with a ocker in the front you only lock 1 hub. HAving a locker both axleshafts are turning. By locking only 1 it mantains your steering better. Any thouhts?

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I was told with a ocker in the front you only lock 1 hub. HAving a locker both axleshafts are turning. By locking only 1 it mantains your steering better. Any thouhts?

[/ QUOTE ] I dont see why it would work, first, to me atleast, i would think you would tear the crap outta something. And then say u locked the pass side hub. Well what happens when u wanna turn to the right? its the only one w/ power to it, so then its gonna turn even harder that way, but to the left it would be alot easier.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it pulls to one side like a mofocker but nothing seems to break

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I really dunno how it works, but I've just heard it's EASIER compared to having both hubs locked bcos when you turn, one half of the LockRight will disengage. How does it pull like a mofo if the shafts are LOCKED together and turning at the same rate? My line of thought is when they are moving in unison you only need one hub locked bcos the locker is engaged and you basically have a solid axle. When only one side of the locker is engaged it's like having an open diff anyway. The tire with the least resistance is gonna spin, even with both hubs locked.

(the more I read this and tried to sound clear the worse it cornfused me!!)

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

On a side note: research the lockright. I have had two and I do not like them at all /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Both have failed miserably. The 1st one just shredded apart, and the second decided to braek the pins and then ate the cogs. Of course the second one is in the box bcos LockRight went belly up and I haven't gotten ahold of Richmond to find out what their policy is on old lockrights, sooooooooooooo..... And big tires are hard on lockrights.

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

In the winter I leave my hubs locked if it is going to snow. I have a Trac Lok and I notice it steers a little different/harder with the hubs locked. My cure for that is going to be hydro assist steering. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you have the money you could always put an ARB in.

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

First off, why drive in 4WD with a front locker and only one hub locked? If that is what you want, why spend the money to get and install a locker. Running with only one locked hub with a locker is the same as running with an open diff.

The reason it will pull is that you have power going to only one front wheel. So, one wheel is providing forward go (the one locked) while the other is providing drag (unlocked). Sure, both your axleshafts are spinning, but only one side is attached to the wheel (the whole point of locked and unlocked hubs).

I have a full locker in the front of my rig. On the road, I do not run in 4WD. If the situation calls for it, especially at higher speeds, I would only run with one hub locked with a smaller axle (D44, 10B). Reason being that if you start to steer very hard at higher speeds on good traction surface with both locked, you really risk blowing a u-joint or seomthing.

When I am off-road, I lock both front hubs and run in 2WD. With my rear locker, I can get through most obstacles without issue. Steering is slightly reduced, but much better and safer on components than if in 4WD. When I hit a situation when I need the front, I will slap it in 4WD, deal with the situation/obstacle, then go back to 2WD. It is something you get used to.

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

POW!!!!!(picture a 2x4 right smacking between my eyes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) It never made sense to leave one hub unlocked, but if the hub isn't locked the outer hub and rotor are just gonna roll like normal. I, uh, ahhhhhh, well, you see, ahhhhh, ummmmmm....... Thanks for painting a clear picture.

17. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I broke the powertrax no slip the 2nd time I locked the hubs. They are junk. No dry pavement driving either. Very unhappy. I'm going to go with an eaton up front to replace the powertrax junk.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why have a 4wd rig if you're only going to 'wheel in 2wd? C'mon man, I'd rather have one hub locked in up front when 'wheeling and at least have three wheel drive than have the 'case in 2 hi and get no drive from the front at all.

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The No slip and the Lock rite are 2 different animals.
    I have the lock rite in the front in a D44 and haven't had any problems with it for 2 years. I also can attest to the fact that running the hubs locked and in 2wd there is a difference but not so much to make it undrivable.