Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locker/limited slip up front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Dec 22, 2000.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have experience with this? I want to know about handling characteristics on the street, are there any drawbacks, etc.,

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have Auburn Pro at both ends......I chose a posi, because of the stress on a 12B with a locker....not many rock opportunities in Texas, mostly mud....with Warn hubs, grabbers aren't a factor on the street....The front Auburn makes a huge difference wheelin' mud...I haven't yet found a slick situation that will overcome the bias...the posi unit up front is much more forgiving than a locker...I have the ORD 4340 Moly shafts up front and Moser 1340H shafts in the rear...I think if I had it to do over again, I would buy a gear type posi , even tho the Auburn Pro is supposed to have the tightest bias on the market...it's just not rebuildable....my setup works very well for what I do .....my rig isn't extreme, but like I said, I haven't done many rocks....I'm sure I'd build it different if I were in a different part of the country....JD

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You have to be honest with yourself as to what kind of wheeling you are going to be doing. The lockers are killer, no holds bar when it comes to hard core wheeling, rocks and what have you. but they suck for street performance, especially when there are slippery situations. But Im like K5Jimmy, Im looking at 2 LSD's front and rear. Because most of the stuff around Tennessee is messy ol'mud. Plus mine is a part time daily driver/ basically back up.
    It's all in where you live adn what you wanna do.
    There is a unit called Powertrax, No-slip. It's supposed to be the Limited slip of the lockers or visra versa. Little costly at 400 bones, but......????? Im thinking about it. Get yourself a copy of this months four wheeler, it has a goo article on this unit.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

ftn96- I thought of you in the mall today. I saw a both that makes licent plate frames and there was one there that said,"I miss my ex., but I'm reloading!" C-ya!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i saw the noslip article, it seemed like they only have jeep applications so far (as usual). i was just wondering about personal experiences.

shaggyk5

6. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

I have an auburn posi up front, basically cause i didn't think the 10 bolt could handle a locker, it does real well in everything i do, it takes some good pressure to slip. i like the posi, but i think im gonna swap the detroit to the front and strengthen up the back.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Unless you twin stick your transfer case you will have a real problem turning with a front locker on hard surfaces. I have a limited in front and am changing to a locker for rockcrawling. If you play in the mud I would stick with the limited slip

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 84 has the factory limited slip Corp 10 rear diff. Does this mean that my front diff is also a limited slip unit? I was under the impression that a LS diff in the front is a no-no........or does that mainly apply to street applications? Someone fill me in!!!!!!!!

PHOTO ALBUM- <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge, GM has never offered a factory traction aiding device for the front...as far as the factory unit in the rear....Any aftermarket unit is better than a Gov-Lok....I've grenaded every one I have ever owned...with a mostly stock vehicle...JD

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, I've heard all the bad stuff about the factory limited slip rearends, but mine's still going strong after 140k. Most of that has been street driving, with a little bit of mild wheelin' and moderate towing mixed in. I'm pretty sticky with my maintenance, so maybe that has something to do with it.

PHOTO ALBUM- <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......TRUCK & HIKING PICS

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I did a little research on this and for the front The best would be an ARB air locker, BUT they are very expensive!
    I like Dana Spicer products so I compared the Track Lock and the Power Lock they are both Posi or limited slip diffs but the difference is that the TracLock acts like an open diff until traction is lost to one side or the other and then it is suppose to provide torque to the oposite where as the PowerLock acts like a locker until the need for different roattion speed is needed like when turning a corner in 4x4. I belive the Auburn is like the PowerLock sence it has the preload springs on the cluches to keep it all tight. I didn't go with an Auburn this time cuz I have allready GREANDED one in my old 12bolt[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah, lockers would mess up the front on the street, BUT i have manual hubs, so that would cancel out the front end when the hubs are unlocked. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with L.slips or lockers in snow and ice?

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well my rear is welded, and I just went on a snow run. For the most part it was good, a lot easier to get going without wheel spin, however on the icy parts the rear of the truck would just crab over towards the low side of the trail with the least bit of wheel spin. This eventually put me in a runoff ditch and up against a rock face[​IMG] It got me farther up the trail but also got me in more trouble [​IMG] I imagine a front locker on the ice would have been worse, with the front open it helped me keep the truck straight and pulled the truck through turns. Next trip I'm bringing some chains[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Last winter my Power Lock did the same thing going down a snow coverd road. From time to time I would give it a bit of gas too much and the rear would try and come around on me. I would just let off the gas and ride it out, kinda like a power slide in the mud but WAY more slippery....Snow and Ice to me is the most trickyest of driving in a locked fullsize!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, the snow we had was about 24" deep and really wet, in fact it was in the 40's. We were getting pulled around all over the place. It seemed the key was to limit wheel spin as much as possible, as soon as you spun the tires you'd just create ice. My boo-boo was on a steep hill that banked left. it took a whole bunch of guys digging and using a come-a-long (chain type) over an hour and a half to get me out. The guy who helped the most had a 79 Bronco which he used to rip my rear bumper right off the truck. Nothing like 20 feet of slack to test your bumper mounting. It didn't help that I was hard up against a rock wall either [​IMG]
    That was my first snow run, and it definitely requires a new set of driving skills!

Rene

[​IMG]

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit Tru-Trac in the rear and a new Eaton posi in the front. The Tru-Trac is not noticable in the back when driving on the street, except if you really get on it while make a sharp turn it will squeal the inside tire slightly. Driving on icy or snowy roads is just like any other limited slip.....the back end will have more of a tendency to slide out but I think the extra traction when taking off more than makes up for it. As far as off camber icy trails, I think any decent limited slip or locker would cause the back end to slide towards the low side.
    For driving in 4wd on slick roads, I honestly prefer to stay in 2wd with the front posi. The Eaton is positive enough where it can make the front tires wash out (you turn the wheel and the truck keeps going straight), but the Blazer isn't a daily driver so it's not that big of a deal to me.
    In most situations I get in to, the limited slips do just fine. Here in Ohio there aren't many rocks but mostly mud, though I am planning on going to full lockers front and rear because as I start to run tougher trails I'm starting to encounter more and more situations in which the bias of the limited slips is being overcome and leaving only 1 tire spinning.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No personal experience, but I was talking to a guy about him buying a 10 bolt front diff off of me. He needed it because I guess the spindle etc were completely destroyed on his. He also said he had broken axle shafts, u-joints, etc in the front diff, NUMEROUS times. My friend, who is much more into hard core wheeling than I, asked if he had posi up front. He did. My friend stated that the ONLY way he was breaking what he was breaking was because of the posi unit. It sounds like lots of people on this board run the same setup, but I have a feeling this guy was doing a lot of running on hard packed logging roads. I'm sure real bad traction situations like snow and mud would be no problem, but I thought I would add that. If I am wrong, someone can correct me of course, but I assume that durability is not especially good with posi in the front diff, or else it would have been offered from the factory.....

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

18. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I run a Detroit in the back and really think the side stepping problem is over rated. I am usually sliding it anyhow. If I think it is to slippery then I just put it in 4 wheel and go! I live in WI and deal with the snow all winter. I do have Cooper SST tires which are aggressive also.

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, a posi or locker will put more stress on the axle shafts in certain situations. For example, if you are really twisted up (one of the front tires off the ground) trying to climb out of rut, an open diff will only power the tire in the air, and since it's not touching anything there is no resistance and really no chance of breaking anything. With a locker in the same situation, all of the power is basically being put through the tire that is wedged down into the rut and has lot's of resistance and can result in broken parts. I've broken two front axle u-joints and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if I had an open front diff......but I also wouldn't have gotten to that point without the front posi......