Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker Noises

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 6, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright i just put a new axle in my truck with a detriot in it. When i am driving now and im off the gas i feel a slight vibration throughout the floor of the truck. My ujoints are all new, my driveshaft angles are perfect and dead on so i dont think it could be that. The noise tends to come more when im going straight down the road right after i let off the gas. Anyone have an idea what could cause this or is it just how the detriot tends to work?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Hmm, mine didnt vibrate, but I couldnt tell or didnt bother with the lift, n big tires. I could definately feal it when I let off the gas or got on the gas. Is it a constant steady vibration when you coast or just for a second or 2?

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Could the new axle have changed the driveline angles? Maybe the pinion is tilted up a degree or 2 more in the new axle vs. the old one and the u-joints are out of sync.

4. stockk5

well the driveline is dead even now. the spring perches were welded on so the driveshaft's rear u joint is perfectly even up to the rear yoke which isnt at a bad angle at all.. no binding or anything.. it seems to only be for a few seconds after i let off the gas. then goes away....

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

If the perches were welded on, and angled the pinion (relative to the parallell ground) differently than the old axle, then the pinion-to-U-joint angle may be different than the TCase-to-U-joint angle, which would cause a vibration.

[​IMG]

Driveline Geometry explained: http://4xshaft.com/techinfo.html

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If you fill out your user profile, it may be easier for us to help you. Anyways, after installing a new rearend with a detroit, and a lift in mine ( I saw you also did a lift at the same time), I had the same vibration only when I let off the gas. If you have a np 208 t-case, then its all about the angles. I have an np 208 and the only way to get the noise to go away (the noise comes from the slip yoke in the t-case being at a bad angle and kind of moving around in there), was to get a cv shaft for the rear made. If you have a 208, then I bet that is what the problem is.
    -Harrison

7. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Wow, I am having the same prob. I just swaped out my 10blt for a 14ff w/detroit and when i get speed up to about 40-45mph and let of the gas to coast i hear and feel the vibration. I also replaced my u-joints. I will have to recheck my angles. It does sound like it could be my pinion vibrating against the ring

8. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Just looked under my rig and my pumpkin looks like this, but i dont have the CV joint at the top, i have a slide in
    [​IMG]

9. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

that would cause it
    the ujoint angles need to cancel each other out
    and you don't want a ujoint to run at 0* should have some angle to it
    ideal is 1-2* but we know thats not gonna happen on a lifted truck

10. stockk5

here are pics of my angles... what will happen if i keep driving w/ the vibes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. stockk5

here are pics of my angles... what will happen if i keep driving w/ the vibes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Yup, your problem is a driveline angle mismatch. Your pinion is angled up so your pinion ujoint angle is ~0* and your transfer case u-joint angle is at at least 5.

You either need to rotate your pinion down so the 2 angles match, or get a CV shaft.

What will happen is you will be annoyed and it could lead to premature u-joint failure.

Mike

13. trailblazr81

You will eat U-Joints. I got a 1350 CV shaft and no vibes and no busted u joints.

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

When I installed the 14BFF inmy Burb I had the same problem. I had a vibration at highway speeds. I purchased a $10 angle finder from Home Depot and measured the two angles. I ended up putting a 4* shim in there to correct the problem.....no more vibration.:D

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Looking closer at your pictures, I bet that once you angle the pinion down far enough, your d-shaft will be too short.:doah: :thinking:

Hard to say until you measure and move it.

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

That angle at the t-case end looks bad. Jack the rear end up (block the front tires of course), and have someone get on the gas while you look and listen under the truck. I bet its comming from the t-case and not the diff. The easiest way to solve your problem would be to get a cv shaft made. It fixed mine. Oh, and left unattended, it will eat u-joints, and can kill the seal in the tailshaft of the 208. That will make you lose a lot of tranny fluid. Unnoticed, it could kill your t-case. :doah:
    -Harrions

17. trailblazr81

I like the 3 exhaust clamps within like 12"s. :haha:

Also the old bare V-8 out in the yard...in the snow!! :haha: :bow: :woot:

18. stockk5

haha yeah.. i didnt do the exhaust.. however that is an old 318 i am scrapping... maybe the money from all my scrap metal can get me a new cv driveshaft....

19. trailblazr81

Check out Denny's Driveshaft and High angle driveline.

20. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

it almost looks like your angle at the diff is slightly above 0*
    could probally use a slight downward angle to that and of course a cv joint at the tcase end