Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locker opinions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kiley, Jan 29, 2002.

1. kiley

kiley Registered Member

The boss ok'd $$$ for upgrades. After the snow in Oregon this weekend I figured I want lockers and new tires. I know I want tsl's. As far as lockers most everyone agrees that a detroit is best in the rear axle. I'm thinking about a lockright (sp?) for the front. I have a dana44, gm 12 bolt with 3:73's, th350 and 33" tires. This rig isn't a daily driver so I WANT TRACTION. Any good opinions before I buy?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have had bad luck with the stock axles and open diffs (which many people say are ez'er on parts). I will never lock the front till I get a D60 up there. I also know people that have had good luck with a locker up there (RaisedK5 has a lock-right in his D44 and has never broken it). I guess it just depends on how and where you wheel. To sum it up I would upgrade to 3/4 ton axles and lock only the rear. Doing this you will save money by not buying the lock-right (save about $225), a Detroit for a 14FF is only $300 (save about $200) and you can install it yourself without setting up the gears (save at least $100). So now that you have saved around $525 you will have some money to buy those TSL's and wheels you want.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Thanks for your input. Most of the wheeling I do is climbing up and down forest service trails, some of which are steep and rutted. In the winter snow is the thing to do. I haven't seen much action in the mud and I'm not interested in rocks. Mostly loose dirt, sand, snow and occationally mud.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Also make sure you upgrade to 73 and up axles in your D44. The stock u-joints on our trucks are smaller than the ones on the 73 and up trucks that are small to begin with. I think they will fit right in and that you will just need to use different seals (the seal kit I got came with a metal ring to convert the old axles to the newer axle seal so you would just not use that).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

what kind of mpg are you getting with the 33" tires?

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Kiley,

I've heard that a "Detroit" in the snow is DANGEROUS!!!!

Supposedly it causes massive oversteer on both snow and ice, amd most people I've heard from know of at least one story of a friend who went off the road because of a locker in snowy/icy conditions.

As far as traction in dirt or rocks....they are unbeatable, but I just wanted to share what I've heard so that you can do some "checking around" also....

I am still waiting for an "Air-Locker" or "electric locker" for my 14-Bolt for that EXACT reason....!!!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Th OX-Locker looks pretty sweet for the front. I have a Detroit in my 14 bolt and it's awsome. My K-20 gets 10-11 mpg with 33s and 4.10s, fairly stock 350 with 4spd.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The only limited-slip differentials I'd even consider for use in snow are the Torsen or an air-locker (left open in the snow). Of course, I'm down here on the flat lands and don't do much in the snow, so a simple Eaton limited-slip differential will work for me until we get enough interest in a Torsen for the 14SF or 14FF (whichever one they come out with will determine which axle I get).

9. kiley

kiley Registered Member

It's hard to tell for sure. I'm estimating around 12 mpg. My tach may be off a little but it shows that I'm spinning 3000 rpm's @ around 60. I only know because I used the gps to get my speed on the highway and to track mileage.

10. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I have heard the same thing on ice. I wouldn't think snow would make that much difference. I was sliding all over the place on a snow covered road last weekend anyway. I have posi in the rear but it doesn't work. I've thought about repairing it but haven't looked into what it will cost. Anyone who knows more about snow/ice and lockers please chime in.

11. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I took your advise along with the advise of many others and decided against a full time locker. Got my bonus and sprung for an arb for the 12 bolt. I'm leaving the front open for now. Detroits sound great but I want to be safe. The arb just seemed to make the most sense.