Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker or Limited Slip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jboyes, May 2, 2005.

1. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

I've got an '88 Blazer and I am getting ready to swap out my 1/2 ton front and rear ends for 3/4 stuff from an '87 suburban. I am running 35 inch Thornbirds that still have 3/4 tread on them but will probably go bigger when they wear out. So I am going with 4.56 gears with a Lock-Right in the rear, I am wonder what I should put in the front. One of my friends says to go with a Limited Slip instead of the Lock-Right for the front. Any other opinions on this or other ideas of what to do? Where I live and wheel there is not really any rock climbing mostly just a lot of mud and quite a few trails with some steep hill climbs. Thanks for your help. Any other info/help you can offer with this swap would be helpful too. Thanks again.

Jason

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

locker

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

selectable locker in the front if you got the $

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I say Detroit locker fer da rear and eather a selectable locker(ARB or electric) or a Power-Lok up front...I would not want to be locked 100% of the time up front. Power-Lok is the closest thing to being locked without being locked. Very aggressive posi/limited slip.
    .02c

6. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. Still not completely sure what I am going to do, but I am thinking for what we do around here I don't really need the front locked up too often. It might be better to take that money I was going to use on the front and get that much better of a locker for the back. Just don't have a lot of money right now, so I am thinking get the good one for the back and save up for something in the front.

7. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I'll 2nd that!!

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'll go against the grain here and say no locker up front. if your not playing in the rocks you really dont need it. especially since funds are limited. put a detroit in the back, and either limited slip up front or just leave it open.

if your swapping gears 4.56, i'd suggest go one better...4.88. with overdrive 4.56 is just barely enough for 35's. if your going any bigger, you want 4.88.

ive got an 89 w/ 4.56 + 35's and i'd rather have 4.88.
    IMO, you really cant gear too low with overdrive. even 5.13 w/ 35's would be fine.

10. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any websites to with good prices on lockers?

11. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jonny. That is kinda what I am thinking. I wondered about 5.13's but thought they might be too low. After hearing what you say about the 4.56's I think I will definately go with at least 4.88's.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I will agree with at least 4.88's with OD and 35" or larger tires. I would honestly say drop in a lunchbox locker and call it good. They are as cheap or cheaper then limited slips and provide more traction.

Harley

13. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Do you guys think 5.13's would be too low for serious mud slinging. One of my buddies thinks that I won't be able to get enough wheel speed with that low of gears.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i had a hard time spinning mine with 4.56 and 33's. wasnt causs the gears were too low, it was causs the stock motor doesnt have enough balls.

do you play in the mud in high range or low range?

BTW you said 3/4 ton axles right? not sure if they make 5.13 gears for a 10b, and if they do i'd think the pinion would be pretty damn small. i'd stick with 4.88, and keep it open, it'll hold up better.

15. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

My motor is just a stock 350 but runs pretty good. I do all of my playing in low range right now. Forgot to tell you guys that I am currently running 3.07 gears, it sucks. So no matter what gears I put in they will kick what I have now's ass.

I really appreciate you guys' help, I think I have made my decision.

4.56's with Detroit in the back and Auburn LS in the front. I wish there was an E-LOCKER for the front but I wasn't able to find one. I'm sure this setup will work great for me. Thanks a lot guys.

16. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Or 4.88's. Damn its hard to decide. I need to just go ahead and order something and stop thinking about it.

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

spool !!!

18. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

Anyone here running a limited slip up front?

Any comments on it?

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

if you have a 10b up front... merry christmas, your wishes have been answered...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=250675&prmenbr=361

By the way a 10b and a d44 are the same strength just incase you were putting a d44 up there and pullin a 10b out. Also the auburn ected selectable locker is only made for 10b's when it comes to gm. Little pricey but not that much more than a detroit and definetly less than an ARB.