Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker or Posi?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Oct 9, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

As some of you know i blew up my 10 bolt, I have a 9.5" 14 bolt sitting at the shop at work waiting to be rebuilt, I want to put a Detriot in it, but Ive heard from many people that it gives you a lot of wierd handling characteristics. I can get a Gov-Loc /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif for it for really cheap, or I may be able to get OEM electric locker like in the H2. This would be for my daily driver and I drive in the mountains a lot, and will probably do a lot of driving in the snow to go snowboarding. What do you guys recommend?
    Thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go withe detroit and forget about it the onroad handling is not bad you get used to it within a few days /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif as for the snow just keep the tires from breaking lose all the time and you will be fine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i drive a good amount in the snow and dont have any problems with mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I agree with mudhog. You get used to the detroit real fast. Thats what I would go with.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Someone just posted that the Eaton E-Locker is available now for the 14-bolt single floater. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That would give you the best of both worlds. No handling quirks in normal driving, with the traction of a spool when you push the button. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif However, it remains to be seen if the E-Locker will have the durability of an anvil, which the Detroit Locker is famous for. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

heck, the e-locker is expensive! Though I have considered doing an e-locker in the front. I have a eaton posi in the rear, works pretty darn well. Except when the truck is stuck to the frame in mud/sand. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the detroit handling rumors come from Heep guys.

WIth a rig as light and wimpy as a 1/4 ton heep on D30's, a detriot does make it a bit more interesting.

With a 5000 pound pig of a K5, it is minimal. it is a slight sway in the rear as it engages, disengages.

As long as you don't think you are a F1 racer in a K5, you'll be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys, look who's <font color="orange"> orange </font color>!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. HarryH3

The E-locker isn't terribly expensive when compared to the cost of a full case Detroit Locker. The 14-bolt SF doesn't take a drop-in version like the FF does. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The full case DL's run $450 to $550. At that point, a couple hundred extra isn't that big of a deal. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the detroit handling rumors come from Heep guys.

[/ QUOTE ] And from K5 guys that have some serious stones under the hood. If I jump on the loud pedal of the TPI 383 that's under the hood of my K5, I have to turn the steering wheel to the right in order to stay in my lane. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you're not ready for it, then you end up staring at oncoming traffic. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It leaves no doubt that it's back there...

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I dont really know what diff to get now, I was really wanting the detriot because I wont have to worry about it letting me down, but I dont really want to get the quirky handling that comes with it. I checked and i cannot get the factory hummer locker for mine, but I can get a Gov-Loc for $390.74 that is brand new and gaurunteed(sp?) for 12 months. But the detriot is $520 and I dont know if it has a warranty. Decisions decisions.

11. HarryH3

With a stock engine, the Detroit Locker isn't that noticeable. If I had to choose between the Gov-Loc and the DL, the DL would win hands down. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The DL is probably the most reliable locker ever made. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes detroits have a warrentey i beleve life time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I do not know the price but ARB is available for the 14 SF /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Kamots

Kamots Registered Member

Dont forget the Ox-Locker, no need for onboard air. Just another option to think about. When my K5 is finished it will have dual Ox's. Peace...

Kamots

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">My 14 bolt came with a gov-loc and I blew it up so I put a detroit in one day and I like it better

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    as for the snow just keep the tires from breaking lose all the time and you will be fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Mudhog... what's this mean?

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I talked to the e-locker people yesterday trying to get some jobber prices, and they said give it a month or two and then they will have a few different models available.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My future plans include a Detroit locker out back, and an ARB air locker for up front. I think that combo will work good together. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif