Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker play?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71WhiteBeast, Jan 8, 2002.

1. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

I just had a detroit locker put in my 14ff and it has a little play.
    Playing with the pedal at cruising speeds. I have heard, was told that the play is inherient to the locker! True or false?

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Very true!! I have heard that it has as much as an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn of slop! It's just a trait of the Detroit - one that those of us with Detroits just come to accept as a tradeoff for its awesome performance! They say that the newer version of the 14bff Detroit is actually supposed to be a tad quieter and smoother, so your's is probably not even as bad as most! [​IMG]

You will learn to not do that "playing with the pedal", as it can make for some really annoying driveline clunks!!

3. 71WhiteBeast

Thanks for the reply. I have already learned not to play with the pedal, but it's only been a day its hard not to play a little!

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Wait till it changes lanes on you due to the locker

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

It makes some loud noises sometimes but it kicks-ass off-road!

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

6. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

What did your instructions say about backlash? What was the tolerance for it? The play you are talking about is the gears running on the drive side when you let up real fast it is then on the coast side. When you put the gears in did you paint the ring gear with some bluing to see where the gearmesh was at?

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

7. 71WhiteBeast

WHOOOSH as the information goes over my head!! I had a professional install it and I was just trying to double check what he told me!

8. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I believe that it is the inside of the locker that has the play in it, not the tollerance in the ring and pinion gears. It has to have room to engage and disengage which creates the play and has nothing to do with the ring and pinion setting. Just my $.02

See Ya,
    Keith

"Your just mad cause the voices only talk to me."

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

9. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Let me try to explain it better! I work at Dana and never have seen a axle that was built right the first time! It CAN'NT be done! Even with computers!
    We put a paint on the ring gear that shows the contact patern. It might be high on the ring gear or low. Most gears are ran central.
    If you were to take off the diff. cover and with the vehicle in park and grab the ring gear and move it up and down there should be some play. That is called backlash. I'm not for sure what 12 bolts are set at. I just got done doing my Dana 70 in my Dodge and I was allowed .004 to .008. To tight will make them whine (other things could also cause it also to whine). To loose will cause it to clunk when playing with the gas pedal like you were talking about.
    I don't have a Detroit. It could be a charateristic of them. That's why I asked what it said to set the backlash at.
    I hope this helps you better understand it a little better. It is a pain in the butt to get all of this done and done right! There are so many variables that it's not even funny.
    Best of luck!

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

10. 71WhiteBeast

I got it now thank you for the detailed info this helps greatly!!