Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locker-pop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Jun 26, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have a loc-rite in my 14bff on a 78 sub, when I turn it sounds like someone rearended me , people on the other side of the intersection look to see what I hit. Central 4x4 says that its all good,but I have not heard anybody eleses truck making this sound. all my friends have arb or welded so I have no compairison. my truck is a stick ,so maybe thats why, does any one else have this?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

did Central install it for ya? if so, get a second opinion. I have found them to be a little shaddy, and definitely over priced on some stuff too. If they installed it, maybe they are just trying to avoid the shop time / replacement costs.

j

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How often does it pop ?

My Quic Loc/EZ Locker did it all the time , made me mad , would try different thrust washers and gear oil , worked awhile , came back to popping .

Now my Lockright I have now , perfect , popped 5 times in 4 months :D

You have to be easy giving it back throttle after a corner , you will learn to nudge it just right .

I would take it back if its a Powertrax brand Locker , and you drive fine . Get it warranted .

4. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

It pops anywhere from 1 to 8 times on a right turn ,and not usually a pop either ,its a bang. its the same as the day they put it in . I think if this is normal I will be welding it up , my jeep has a welded rear and its fine

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

My lockright has poped maybee 5 times in 6 months, but when it does pop you feel it through the whole truck and it always makes me think i finally broke an axleshaft. Yours poping that much doesnt sound right.

6. pauly383

The teeth are worn already , or theres too much play , take it out for warranty . They shouldn't pop that much .

It should maybe do it ONCE after a turn if you jump right back on it , or after a lane change if you jump in and out of the thottle , but thats it .

7. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

locrite pop!

i have a lockright in front on my 80k5 10 bolt front . when it unloads it sounds like a cannon went off. got a buddy with a zuk that does it too. no problems though.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Unless you replaced the carier too, it might be a worn carier causing your problem. My EZ-Locker popped occassionally when I installed it. Once it started popping regularly it failed soon after.

9. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I just drove around and I noticed that I put the clutch in around turns, so I tried gassing into turns and that seems to make it better,but I am going to get a second opinion

10. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

right on. check that oil for metal too.

11. pauly383

Ahh , manual tranny , that would make a LOT of difference . Try to put it in the gear you need before the turn and ease into it coming out .

12. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Loc-rite.

Mine would "Tick" as I went around a turn , which I've been told is normal. The ticking would get louder and faster as it went faster in a turn, unless I gave it some gas, and then it would lock, but loud banging I don't think is normal, it may need to be re-shimmed inside the carrier. Sounds like it's too tight to me.

13. pauly383

No , its too loose when they do that all the time , or the teeth are worn , tight is good , it actually tightens as you apply power .

When you give it gas , the pinion turns ring gear , carrier turns , locker couplers get caught on the crosshaft and push out couplers , couplers lock onto drivers and turn axles . Tight is better :D

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Not to jack, but it might help to know that I've had a similar problem. I've had the Detroit for over a year, and since I've had my new tires a month? I've had the rear end bang twice (coincidence?). And like was mentioned it sounds like I was rear ended. I actually got out the first time to check! The only difference is both times was from a stand still and I was going straight. No ideas yet.

15. LongIslander26

Lockers

I've heard those Detroits are pretty harsh, but the loc-rites and those like it aren't supposed to be. "Ticking"-good, "Banging"-bad. :D

16. pauly383

Check tire pressures , they need to be aired up to the same diameter on each side , not necessarily the same pressure .

Measure all 4 tires diameter at one set pressure , take the two that are closest to each other . mount them out back , and then adjust air pressure for closest diameter to each other .

17. pauly383

They can still still bang , but don't seem to do it very often , and almost seem not there in an auto truck driven normally .

18. LongIslander26

Lockers

That's what I had mine in, a 78 GMC half ton 2wd automatic. It would bang every now and then, but not like I had been rear ended, usually just a quiet ticking going around turns. Only when I got silly with the stupid pedal did I get any real noise out of it. :p: