Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Apr 2, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I got a m1008(k30) and it has the factory detroit locker. Since I put a manual transmission in, its been acting funny. It seems to bind up sometime when going around turns. But only when I press the clutch in, say I turn into a gas station, if I press the clutch in and just coast in to the turn, it starts to bind up, but not i dont press the clutch in. Or also it will do it when in neutral.

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

My only thought is that with an automatic, constant torque was applied through the drivetrain, even though speed was reducing and so the detroit had an easier time with engaging straight, unlocking turn. With a manual, I'm believing that the detroit acts like a totally different animal and you have to get used to the quirks. Once you depress the clutch, there is no torque on the drive train. You're coasting. I may be wrong since I've never had a detroit till now, and I'm watching this to see what others who have them have to say.

Have you checked diff gear fluid? Are you low? That could be an issue too. Are you a mudder? Maybe your fluid is full of junk if you are and needs a change. These are just questions and are by no means an accusation. Just thinking out loud. Here's an opportunity for me and you to grow in knowledge.

Standing by...

Manny

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah havent pulled the cover yet, ill check it tonight. I see that you have a 465 and Detroit too. Theres a difference in the newer Detroit and older ones right? I think the older ones lock up alot harder, I can spin my driveshaft like almost half a turn before the wheels will spin, I was told that b/c I have the older Detroit.

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I don't know about new and old, but with my detroit, I can turn the pinion yoke between 1/4 and 1/2 turn before the detroit engages. I'm told that this is normal behavior. My gears were set up by a mud drag professional, so I know he's dead on with the backlash. I have not had the axle under power to get a feel for its handling characteristics. Hmmmm.....

Manny

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

The detroits in the CUCV axle are totally different than the ones you buy to put into an open carrier...

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah i know, im talking about a full detroit

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Wait can you still buy a full detroit for a 14bolt, that replaces the carrier?

8. daleearnhardt01

You cant buy a full carrier detroit for a 14 bolt, they dont make one the only thing you can buy is the one to drop into the carrier. The one you have in your CUCV is a full carrier one which looks totally different and probably acts a bit different...

9. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I want to see what happens with this too. I want to go manual, and I have a detroit....

10. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Could a Detroit carrier from a CUCV go in a open 14BFF?

11. daleearnhardt01

How could you put a carrier into a carrier?????

12. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yes, cuz ur replacing the carrier with the detrioit

13. Chrisblazzer89

HA HA HA you know what I mean. lol:)

14. Chrisblazzer89

kool thanx

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats how my lock-rite is too. about 1/4 turn of play. I know what you are talking about as far as turning with the clutch in...

My solution is to clutch in before I even start the turn and then ride it a little (you can pop the clutch too and make the tires chirp ;) ) from mid to end of turn also depending on if I am accelerating out of the turn or slowing to make the turn and stop. Helps if you are in a gear that put the rpm lower so that clutch engagement is pretty much off-idle or so. Drive it some more you will quickly get used to the clutch and figure out how to avoid locker binding in corners. Its all about the 3 footed pedal dance... :D

Also its a good idea to check/change the fluid because my gear oil ran low and my locker would bind more and be really noisy.

Also keep in mind that all fully auto lockers like your detriot and my lock-rite will pop or bang and make weird ass noises, especially with a standard, but its all normal and I've been running like this for a while and no problems to speak of...

16. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Do the newer Detroits lock in as hard? Cuz with mine, its impossible to shift threw gears smoothly.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

HOLD ON!!!!

A CUCV pickup has a 14FF rear that has the same detroit that everyone on here puts in their civilian 14FFs.

The front 60 might have a Detroit in it but most were lockrights I think. A detroit for a 60 is a full carrier replacement but if you take that carrier apart it looks almost identical to what you use in a 14FF. It is why a detroit is a detroit.

There is no difference between a CUCV pickup and a K30s axles.

Ira

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Protech what do you mean by "bind up"?

Ira

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You just gotta shift faster ;) :D

20. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

i dont know its hard to explain, the tires dont cherp or anything, but like you can feel it in the driveline.