Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 27, 2001.

I have a 3/4 ton GM Corporate 8 lug front axle with an open carrier and 4:88.1 gears. Would I have to change out the ring and pinion to add a locker or just the carrier or what? Would a locker for a Dana44 be the same? I know to watch for 28 or 30 spline shafts. Not sure what I have in it. I was thinking of possibly a PowerTrax and then I could keep my carrier and do it myself too, but I think it is like a LSD and not sure if want that.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I had a Lock-right in the front of my 44.I liked it alot and never had problems with it.It is a locker that replaces the spider gears.Thats what i'm going too put in my dana 60 too.Just my 2 cents.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The GM corp 10-bolts and the Dana 44's will not interchange when it comes to carriers. If you go with something like a Lock-Right, then you use the stock carrier and the Lock-Right goes inside it. Other types such as Detroit Lockers, Tru-Tracs, ARB's, etc...replace the existing carrier.

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI, any time you change the carrier, their is a high possolibity that pinion depth, and backlash will change !

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey Burb. I am on the bubble about a locker for my back too.

I posted a lotta info on the No-slip a few weeks back. Take a look at that for some Powertrax info. It seemed like a great "soft" locker, but the biggest drawback was it used the original carrier which is one of the weakest pieces to begin with.

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hey Bigburb, pends on your time and money. But you can keep everything you have right now, if you get the Powertrax lock-right. You can even do it yourself right there in the driveway with regular old hand tools. But you may need to make sure that powertrax makes one for your application. But as Executioner was saying, if you have to swap out your open carrier, for one of those lockers that replaces yours, you will need to take your ring and pinion that you have and have it all set back up for the differences that your new carrier will bring about. So you keep your ring and pinion, just need to have it setup for the new carrier.
    But, if powertracx has one for your axle you could just get it, instal it yourself and be done with it. Just make sure that if you taek the carrier out to install the lock-right, to make sure you keep the right carrier cap on the right, and the left carrier cap on the left, and keep the shims from the right on the right and the shims from the left on the left when you go to re-install. Oh, and also make sure you have the top of the carrier cap on the top. Just mark them up good so they go back on exactly the way they came off. All this is only if you take the carrier out. But you probably will not have to. Its just easier to install it sitting on a bench instead of up under the truck, but yours is so far up there you may need to get a step ladder. LOL!!!! Good luck. Hope this helps.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure if you get the Lock Right, it fits the correct carrier. On those rearends, they have either the 3 pin or 4 pin spider gears. You can tell by simply removing the cover and turning the ring gear (make sure the wheels are off the ground) and count the number of those "holes" in the middle of the carrier and ring gear. Go to the Lock Right or Powertrax web site to get the part no. you need.

7. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if a cable locker is avaliable for a D44?? If i'm running 35" tyres w/an OD trans should I run 4.56 gears?

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Changing the carrier will effect the backlash, but not the pinion depth.

You're in about the same situation I was a few years ago. My advice is to save your pennies and live with the open diff until you can get a Dana 60 and a Detroit. 38's are way too much tire for a 10 bolt.

I ended up putting an EZ locker (similar to a lock-right, but a little weaker) in my old Dana 44, which I ran for a couple years until I got the 60. Amazingly, I never broke it, but I did brake just about every other part, both before and after getting the locker, and back then I ran 35's.

If you really want ot keep the 44, at least put a Detroit in it. I've seen lots of drop in lockers and OE cariers break.

Not sure about the 10 bolts, but on 44's the carrier must be removed from the vehicle and the ring gear removed from the carrier in order to remove the cross pin with 4.56 and up gears.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I have had a PowerTrax locker in a OEM rear, and it shattered the carrier after about 8k miles (only after failing twice under warranty)! ! ! I liked it when it worked, but the auburn diff I eventually bought to replace it the last time, was worth the additoinal $500 in ring/pinion and setup costs. Hold out for the real deal, don't band-aide it!