Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locker question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Feb 2, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'd like to put at least one locker on my 82 k5. looking at lock-right and similar self-disengaging models. i was thinking putting it in the front diff might be more helpful offroad than the rear. any thoughts on that placement?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Rear would be my choice. Most of the time the most traction you can get is from the rear axle. Putting a locker in a front axle puts much more stress on that axle when you are offroad. Front axleshafts are weaker then rear axleshafts because of the ujoint. The more the ujoint is turned the weaker the axle is.

Harley

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

IMO I would put it in the front, I only have a locker in the front and make it up more obstacles than those with a rear locker. Most of the rocks we do in Vegas require you to pull the vehicle up first. Of course, I have an ARB and turn it off when I am on a downgrade and or have the tires turned in lock with the weight of the vehicle on the front tires. It also helps to have chromoly's and ctm's:grin: I doubt anyone will agree with me on here but that is just my experience:)

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'll agree with harley on this one too and I'll add that your stock type steering would not work too well with it either.

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

go for the lock right in the rear. :grin::grin:

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

This is just me but, I'd put it in the front.If and when you're in a tight turning situation or on pavement,turn out one hub....:D

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

ok. it looks like about an even split on front or rear preference. good reasons to back them up, too. as far as steering goes, they claim the lockright will disengage and act like an open diff in turns. so, hopefully that won't be a concern. i definitely had concerns about the front end being easier to break, though. hmmm. i guess either way would be good and eventually i would like to have both. thanx

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I will tell you right now that you WILL loose turning radius and a decent amount of ability to turn the tires with a front locker when you are in 4wd. I have a Lockright in the front of my truck, so this is first hand info.

Front lockers will break things also, especially if you have 35" tires or larger and your driving style is anything more then moderate. I have a pretty finesse and smooth driving style and I have turned 1 stub shaft and 1 axle joint into trash, and 1 inner axle into an emergency trail spare only. I have watched front lockers break lots of parts in 1/2 ton axles with 35" tires, especially if you try and drive aggressively.

Harley

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A locker in the rear is more useful as weight transfers to the back end in most situations.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I agree on the rear for a first locker . You may need a strap once in awhile to get through some really nasty spots , but mostly a rear locker and some brake to keep the spiders locking up front will suffice until you can afford a front as well . I will never own a truck without a rear locker ever again . Don't forget new thrust washers and crosshaft if you go lunchbox locker . They are easy to install , I watched Marv do mine , and then later did one myself and theyre real simple :k5: :k5: