Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1967k10, Mar 2, 2006.

1. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

I'm in need of a front locker for my D60 and need some info.I know how a Detroit works and how selectable lockers work but how do others work in terms of locking and pulling you?How do different lockers affect your steering? Thanks in advance.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

lockers will effect your steering dramatically! You will want selectable hubs for the street if detroit and after your first trip on the rocks you will want hydro assist.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

All true lockers will act basically the same......Detroit, Lock-right, etc... Obviously selectables have the advantage of being turned off when the front diff acts the same as an open diff.

I've had the front diff open, Eaton limited slip, and a Lock-right on the same Blazer. When I went fron the l/s front to a locker I really did not notice any substantial differences in steering. Hydro-assist would be nice, but not because of the front locker.....open or locked, if you get the front tires down in some deep ruts or between rocks you are not going to be able to turn them anyway.

For the street, anything like a Detroit or Lock-right should be in unlocked mode when in 2wd because there is no torque input going into it, regardless of whether the hubs are locked or unlocked. I run driveflanges (equivalent to the hubs being locked) with my front Lock-right and I have noticed no handling or steering issues on the road when in 2wd.

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A little Hi-Jack maybe?

How much torque steer is transmitted for a true trac, or limited slip, compared with a true locker?
    I've got a front, with a lockright, and when its locked, hang on to the wheel, with it unlocked, its normal.

Just looking for a comparison in relation to the original post.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Eaton l/s front (spring loaded clutch pack) had worse steering characteristics when in 2wd with the hubs locked than the Lock-right. The Lock-right is either open, or completely locked, but typically always open when in 2wd. The Eaton always had a torqu bias between the two front tires.

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when my hubs are locked with a detroit up front, steering sux! for pavement.

7. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Ok,now is a Lockrite as tough as a Detroit? I see that they are considerable cheaper.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Absolutely not ! The L/R uses the open carrier with a single croos pin while the D/L uses a carrier that is made for a four point cross pin. Over time the single cross pin in the L/R can waller out the pin holes assuming that the locker it self last's that long. I am not saying that a D/L is perfect but it is definetely my choice over a L/R anyday if strength is desired.

Tom