Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker recommendations??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Apr 5, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Okay, Ive seen and read a lot about lockers & limited-slips here and other places. I've decided today (after my first, muddy, offroad adventure) that I need one. My 87 is currently stock except 33" BFG A/T's and 3" bodylift. 305, 700r4, 3.73's, open diffs. (33" is probably the biggest I'll go on tires.) I definitely want a full-case design. I'm keeping the 10-bolt, so I'm trying to strengthen it. This truck is my daily driver, so I think a Detroit Locker is overkill...or is it? ARB is too d@mn much $$$. Maybe an Auburn? (Gear-type limited slip?) I do plan some motor mods, like headers, exhaust, intake manifold, and eventually a 350 when the present mill calls it quits. Anyway, I'd like some advice, not a sales pitch for whatever the 4-wheel goodies place needs to get rid of. I apologize for the rambling, disjointed questions. I spent some quality time with Mother Earth today un-stuck-ing myself after trying to be a hero and pull a friend's TLC from the mud. ANYways, thanks for the advice.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm putting 33's on my Blazer and also drive alot on pavement. I had a Detroit Locker in a really tall CJ-7 I used to own. I got used to it and it wasn't that bad. You just had to remember that it was there when it was wet outside. And it would be even less noticeable in a Blazer because of the longer wheelbase. Offroad the performance was awesome. Even with that said, I ended up buying an Eaton limited slip. Eaton is the same brand that produces the Gov-Lock limited slip for GM. The Gov-Lock sucks, but the OTHER limited slip they make is tons better. Its still sitting on the garage floor, so I can't tell you any first hand advice yet. It got a really good review in a 4x4 Power magazine a couple years back. And they tested it in an old Blazer against an open diff and a Detroit. It uses carbon fiber clutch discs that are rebuildable and you can order it with a stronger spring for more aggresive operation. I CAN'T WAIT to get mine in. And I promise I don't work for Eaton or want to sell you one. Just telling you what I spent my cash on.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hi Jarhead, glad to hear you like the sport of four wheelin and want to do more. Recently I have been reasearching lockers as well. I decided to go for a Detroit locker. This decision was based on my wheeling needs. I don't mind a little extra noise, highway chirping, or mildly decreased road handling for supurb off-road ability. The real thing I like about a true locker is that they never have to be rebuilt and a full-case model is virtually bulletproof. Whereas an LSD has clutches that wear out over time and more money has to be spent. Considering that for my application, a locker and an LSD initially cost the same, I decided on locker so that I would have the best and be done with it.

But you have to take useage into consideration. My truck is a summer cruiser and weekend basher. I have another truck that handles all the daily driver duties. So maybe you'd want something milder for yours if you drive it everyday. What I'd truely recommend is to go up to the Search link on this page and looking through back posts on this subject. I know it's come up a few times. And good luck to you!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

If you put a Detroit Locker in your Blazer you will never break it with the mods you mentioned. You'll never wonder if it is slipping to much or if you need to add the limited slip additive to the lube. If you're going to wheel much and you put a LS in your truck, you will eventually wish you had a locker. Spend your money once.
    CB

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with AZK5, I have limited slips in the front and rear and now wish they were lockers....BUT, the vehicle is now almost strictly a trail rig and another vehicle gets me back and forth to work, it was my daily driver when I first installed them.
    I have a Detroit Tru-Trac in the back and it really works well in all situations. It's all gear drive so it should never wear out and is very smooth on the street. In extreme situations a little brake pressure usually gets it to lock up.
    I would recommend the Tru-Trac if you are not into really serious wheeling and what good road manners along with pretty good trail performance.

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

One word...DETROIT. Put one in and NEVER look back, or have to wonder if it's gonna wear out or break. Best money you could ever spend.

ken

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks a million for the advice. I'll probably go with the True-Trac, since on-road bevavior is, unfortunately, more important for the forseeable future. I'll probably get some upgrade axle shafts at the same time, too.
    BTW, the line about not wanting the hot sale item was referring to the sales pitch you get when calling the mail-order houses sometimes. I apologize if I offended anyone.
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...