Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker Suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I will be changing rear axles soon ('84 10 bolt to late model 10 bolt) I currently have a factory gov lock. When It works it works well but it has 100K miles and dosent operate as good as it should. I live in the snow belt and have heard horror stories about Detroits on slick roads. I have no need for a ARB in this truck. I am running a 350 HO and run it hard( probably have 33's soon too) so I worry about the weakness of "lunch box lockers" So whats everyones suggestion?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

3. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

My understanding is that one should run an open diff for safe driving on icy roads. If it were me, I would get a TracLok (that's what I have on both my front ends, and they are not a very aggressive limited slip). I don't know if they make a TracLok for your 10 bolt rear, but 4WheelParts carries all that stuff. If it were a dry climate, I would say shove a spool in there, but who wants to slide out and possibly crash? Ice scares me! I slow WAY down.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Although I don't have first hand experience with them, you might try the TruTrac units. The are a torque sensing mechanical gear unit, supposedly work good and smooth, front or rear (wish they made one for my front Dana 60). A similiar unit is the Torsen by Gleason MFG, used in HMMWVs/Hummers (Front & Rear) some Audi Quatros, Toyota (supra, Rav4, celica), Ferrari. I can tell you this is THE reason HMMWVs have such good off-road abilities. 'Have only heard of one failure (in a HMMWV). Better biasing than the TruTrac although they had some reliability problems when coupled with really big tires (but can handle a good amount of horsepower).

5. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I run a Detroit in snow country, Wisconsin, and I haven't had a problem. I think the the horror stories are from people who aren't use to driving in snow! I like the Detroit and I am thinking of getting one in my other truck too.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm in Minnesota and I have also heard the same things with posi/lockers. I have found I like posi much better in the snow and ice... much esier to get going w/ the spin wheel on ice. Not sure, but have driven our plow truck quiet a bit and it has a locker... seems to be fine, but haven't really road driven it much... but wow does she grip [​IMG]. I think I'm kinda leaning towards a powertrax at this time, but will probably wait till after the lift and new axles go in.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

The locker I run now has never scared me on ice. I just have heard of this(loss of control) as a Detroit specific thing. I have run LSD's and definately will go with a full locker. Any one just replace their old GovLock with a new one? Not too crazy about GM's prices most of the time (never seen them on the market) but its what I already run.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Eaton makes the Gov-Loc, and supposedly they have an updated version that is tougher and just all around improved.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.eaton.com>http://www.eaton.com</A>

I'm also interested in the Zexel Torsen. I've driven many HUMVEE's and have never had a problem with them, reliablility or offroad. Sound interesting to me. I am still debating if I will eventually upgrade to a bigger 6 lug axle, or beef up my 30 spline 10 bolt.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.torsen.com>http://www.torsen.com</A>

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 2.5" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The Gov locs aren't the best to make an understatemnt. But almost all the new posi's in stcok F**ds, and GM are Eastons and are much improved.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

10. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

WELD THEM GEARS AND FORGET ABOUT IT!

11. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I have lincoln locked before, spooled too. This is a 98% street truck not my wheelin truck. On road driveability is a must

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

From what I've read here and other places, the big winter problem with a Detroit Locker is that it locks up when you apply power (???), thereby usually causing the truck to push rather than turn. I've driven CUCV's with Detroit Lockers (the pickup-didn't know it was a Detroit until later) and on dry pavement, they always chirped a tire around corners and turns. Never noticed it when plowing snow on base with it, though. Personally, I'm going to go with a Detroit TrueTrac in back when I swap axles.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

My brother-in-law just relaced his worn out gov-lok with an Auburn (cone clutches). He loves it on the street, but hasn't had it in the snow yet. It cost him $100 more than refurbing the gov-lok, and he feels it was well worth it.