Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locker up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblzr, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bigblzr

bigblzr Registered Member

my friend and i were dicussing this the other day and we were wondering if the stock g80 locker out of a gm 10 bolt can be put into the 10 bolt front diff front as a cheap way to get a locker in the front.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

itll work

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have never really thought about it, but it would be rotating in the opposite direction, and the G80 uses centrifugal force to lock it.
    Wouldn't that keep it unlocked??

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have asked this same question here before and never got a satisfactory reply from anyone who has really done it.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have done it, and i can tell from experience, that it will suck, it doesn't really work, until you start spinning one wheel and then it will literally "bang" into engagement, puts alot of stress on that axleshaft and u-joints.

I took it back out after the second time out trying it, and just opted for the Loc-Rite unit, AFTER i installed and removed the welded carrier,,,hated that too.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The centrifugal force would be the same no matter what direction it was turning.

If it would not lock up in the front axle, that also means it would not work in a rear axle when you were reversing........which is not true.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Have you seen the inside of a gov-lock??

What you said would be true if the locking cam had its pivot point in the center of its arch path......but it does not. It is set up so that a small amount of cent. force will have a large effect onthe carrier internals.
    Think of it as a lever, that's what it is. Now put that force on the other side of the lever.......what happens. Perhaps the same thing, but the force would not be multiplied......it would be divided.

Thoughts.