Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker Vs. Spool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Dec 9, 2003.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I was reading an article in the recent 4x4 Mag (forgot which one) and they compared the two. The spool won buy performance and price. Anyone have any thoughts as to which one is better?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was reading an article in the recent 4x4 Mag (forgot which one) and they compared the two. The spool won buy performance and price. Anyone have any thoughts as to which one is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Locker for us because spool is not an option unless you go D70 or are still stuck 1/2 ton.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

IIRC, a spool is nothing more than locking the two axles together, and it never releases. A Locker like a detroit, will acutally release when not under throttle.

Cheaper than a spool would just be to weld the spider gears.

Same effect.

4. thefarside

Welding seems kind of hokey, cheap but still hokey.

Maybe I am miss understanding what a spool is but this company seems to carry a large array of spools for different axles. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Clicky

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

As was stated, a spool completly locks the axles. Never lets one tire rotate at a different speed while turning. A locker will dis-engage in turns to allow the tires to rotate at different speeds because of the radius difference. My friend totaled his Camaro running a spool when he broke an axle and the car dove off to to the remaining side during acceleration. You will wear tires much faster too unless you always drive in a straight line. Try making a u-turn with a spool. If your good, you can just slide it around otherwise that inner tire is going to be slipping and chirping.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They don't make spools for a 14 bolt anyway, so it's a moot point.

I have a locker in my DD and soon will have one in each end of my 'rig and I would not have it any other way. It's annoying sometimes, but well worth it.

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

lockers click and clang around corners but for most people this is ok they would rather have the streetability of a locker rather than a spool.
    but with a spool there is never any doubt what is going on back there it is always engaged and doesnt have springs and other mechanical parts that can fail. I personally will only run a spool in the rear because my rig is strictly for offroad use and if someone is complaining because a spool wares your tires out faster then maybe they should just stick with open diffs and street tires for miliage I build an offroad rig to be just that off road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally will only run a spool in the rear because my rig is strictly for offroad use and if someone is complaining because a spool wares your tires out faster then maybe they should just stick with open diffs and street tires for miliage I build an offroad rig to be just that off road.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a strictly Off-Road vehicle then yes, a spool may be the best choice. I dont think he mentioned this was strictly a off-road vehicle therefore on the street, good luck with it.

9. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

I put a spool in the front of mine. I couldn`t justify the additional cost of a locker that does basicaly the same thing.When I unlock my hubs its like its not there,but when they are locked look out I`m going up and over! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I personally will only run a spool in the rear because my rig is strictly for offroad use and if someone is complaining because a spool wares your tires out faster then maybe they should just stick with open diffs and street tires for miliage I build an offroad rig to be just that off road.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a strictly Off-Road vehicle then yes, a spool may be the best choice. I dont think he mentioned this was strictly a off-road vehicle therefore on the street, good luck with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

there I go thinking for myself again I believe the question was witch is better. thats a hard answer but if you drive your rig a lot on the road and also wheel it sometimes. a locker would deffinitely be the best for you. a spool would ware on your rig more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm going to run a detroit in the rear of my rig (14 bolt) regardless of what's up front. However I am thinking of putting a spool in the front end since I run a lot of mud and turning isn't much of a concern. I did, however, buy an open diff. for my dana 60 that will accept the 5.13's I'm installing. It's useless if I go to a spool... hmmm... anyone want an open carrier for a dana 60 that will take 4.56 and up gears??? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ive got detroits front and rear and really couldnt be happier. even when the front hubs are locked, it doesnt seem to bind that bad on pavement. it seems like the driveshaft is takin more stress than any part of the axle.

i guess it just comes down to whether or not your driving and what you need it for can justify the price.

NITRO

13. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

A spool has the same effect as welding your spiders, it's great for wheeling but sucks on the street. I welded mine and if it wasn't because my BFG's are getting chewed up at record speed I wouldn't mind. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

(hijack)

Bajaviking, how long has your rear axle been welded? I just got done welding mine (well NITRO did it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) and was just curious how long other people's have lasted.

15. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on having a strictly offroad vehical.
    I have two Blazers, so one for bling and one for wheelin'.
    The 86' for bling
    The 80' for wheelin

16. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    (hijack)

Bajaviking, how long has your rear axle been welded? I just got done welding mine (well NITRO did it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) and was just curious how long other people's have lasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that woud be a good question. Anyone?

17. thefarside

As I was reading the article I started to wonder. With Detroit Lockers running from $300 to $500 each depending an application say vs. a spool for a D60 or Ford 9 inch priced at $190 each savings are substantial to say the least. So assuming a locker is basically a spool when locked then the performance off-road should be the same. So as with any 4x4 modifications each has its trade offs. Now what are they and how to decide if it is right for you? <---- This probably should have been my original question.

Locker:
    Pro
    1) Ability to lock and unlock which prolongs tire life
    2) Does not put a much stress on the drive train as a spool?
    3) Available for a wider variety of axles types
    4) Turning is easy because of unlocking feature
    Con
    1) Cost!
    2) Ware out
    3)
    4)

Spool:
    Pro
    1) Cost!
    2) Always a true 4x4!
    3) Less parts so less chance of breakage
    4) Easier to install??
    5) For that price some one could even carry a spare in the event of breakage
    6) Last longer because of limited parts
    Con
    1) Tire life
    2) More stress on drive train, maybe?
    3) Available for a selected amount of axle types
    4) Turning is difficult

Welding:
    Pro
    1) Cheapest way to lock an axle!
    2) Always a true 4x4!
    3) Easy/Quick modification
    4)
    Con
    1) Longevity of modification?
    2) Irreversible
    3) Botched welding job can ruin the entire axle assembly
    4) Turning is difficult

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

spool and wleding spiders is meant for straightline driving,
    you will put more death to the tire on inside of every turn you take with a spool or welded spiders

spools are for straight track vehicles

if you trun such on pavement you will end up either breaking the welds or breaking a shaft and killing the tires because the inside tire will spin on every turn you take

good luck

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lockers do not wear out. There is absolutely no advantage of a spool over a locker except price.

20. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    Lockers do not wear out. There is absolutely no advantage of a spool over a locker except price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd, I thought anything that had movable parts would eventually at some point ware out because of friction and heat. I for the life of me cannot figure out how you can engage and disengage two axles without some sort of movement.