Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JROSS, Dec 19, 2001.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

This spring I plan putting in new gears and figured while I'm at it might as well put in lockers at the same time. Definetly going to lock the rear, but what about the front. Will it have any effect when in two wheel drive or only when the hubs are locked. This is my daily driver in the winter so quite a bit of street driving. Also, how does a locked front handle in snow. In the winter I usually have to get down the mountain in 4x but back to 2x for around town. Sorry so wordy, Main question is there any reason not to put lockers in both front and rear. I'm thinking Detroit for both, don't know if I'll have the $ for an ARB.

Thanks.

81 Blazer Silverado Package, 350, 4" lift, 35" tires

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

We had a similar post yesterday. Check out My Jimmy with all her projects!

3. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link. Looks like the best set up for my situation in Detroits in both front and rear.
    Stupid ? Are the Detroit lockers fullly locked with no slip?

I was probably going to have it done because I don't have much exp. with gears and probably don't have the nec tools. What kind of cost do you think I'm looking at.
    Thanks again.

81 Blazer Silverado Package, 350, 4" lift, 35" tires

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The Detroit does not have "slip", but it does ratchet to allow one wheel to turn faster than the other, like in turns. Otherwise you would break something everytime you turned on a good traction surface. I am pleased with my Detroits front and rear. When I do it again (trail rig), I will install an ARB or OX in the front.

For gear install, it takes some special tools and time. If you are paying someone, I would definitely recommend installing a locker now, too. The install cost is essentially the same whether you are swapping gears only or also installing a locker. Same setup procedure and so forth. Do it later and you will pay twice. In my area, the going rate was $250 for the rear and $350 for the front. Call some places and check around. Get recommendations from those near you. Prices and quality of work can vary dramatically.

I did mine myself and have been quite pleased, but I don't rely on my truck for transportation everyday. I could afford some downtime. And, I spent about $200 in tools alone. If you aren't sure and don't want to risk it, pay to have it done. If you consider yourself a pretty good mechanic and want to gets ome new tools (and don't rely on your truck everyday), go for it. There is plenty of literature on this site (do a search) and others (My Jimmy with all her projects!