Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Mudbug, Jan 4, 2001.

1. K5Mudbug

K5Mudbug Registered Member

I need a 30 spline locker for a 10 bolt. What would the best locker be. I like the idea of an ARB, put it is expensive, and I want cheap, but will buy an expensive one. I want to replace the front and rear ( Fr 28 spline, Rr 30 spline). I want positive traction when I need it, but want to be able to drive it comfortably, I am on the road alot.

I really dont know alot about differentials. A detroit true trac looks good pricewise, what is it( ...i.e. Limited slip, positve???). I saw one that is cable operated, OxLox or something??? Please help

2000 S-10 ZR2, in process of getting a 88 K5 with a 6 inch lift and 35s

2. windrider

windrider Registered Member

The tru track is a limited slip or posi. (the same thing) I have a detroit locker in mine and love it. It is a little noisey and sometimes the tires squeal when turning, but usually if you are getting on it.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Your sig says you are planning on 35's. For a 10-bolt, that's too big. For a 10-bolt with a locker, that's suicide.
    Have you thought about upgrading? I recently tossed a 12-bolt due to not finding a buyer, so a 12-bolt can;t be too hard to find in your area. It is somehwat stronger than the 10-bolt.
    Whoops, I just read the sig again. It's a new truck. Are you building it for show or for fun? If you break your axles it will NOT be warrantied out because of the tires you are putting on.
    -- Mike

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Detroit is the BEST, I have seen quite a few problems on the trials with ARB's never hear anbody bitching about a broken Detroit. The Detroit EZ locker is the worst. The Lock Right I have in my front 44 has been trouble free and has had hell beat out of it. People say the EZ is a copy of the Lock Right, maybe so, but if it is, its made out of inferior parts.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll second that. I had an EZ, it lasted about 3 or 4 trips. I now have a Detroit and even with much lower gears (2.73-4.56) it has done all I ask of it.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Tru-Trac is a gear driven limited slip and works pretty good (I have one in the rear 10-bolt), but it's not a locker. For daily driving and moderate four wheeling I would recommend it, if you are into hardcore wheeling then you will probably be happier with a full locker.

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have both - a Detroit in my rear 14 bolt and an ARB in the front 10 bolt. The Detroit is somehwta noisy on the street and will clunk and bang until you get the hang of driving with it (don't get off or on the throttle quickly, especially in turns!). I am glad that I spent the extra money on the front ARB! No problems at all, nor have any of the tens of people I know that run them! I believe that they have gotten a bad rap, I haven't seen any broken ones yet myself...and even though I believe Detroits are the strongest, I have seen one of them break! SO, kind of a coin flip I guess...but, being able to simply flip a switch and be able to make sharp turns, then flip the switch back on and climb up rocks fully locked is the ultimate! ANd for my snow driving, I just turn it off on the highway, then turn it right on when I go off road...I highly recommend you spend the money and get the ARB! Limited slips and posis are no match!! I know, I had Auburns, hated them when it came to real off roading!

People will always have their opinions, but from my experience the ARB is the ultimate locker when it comes to performing on highway and off highway!!

8. K5Mudbug

K5Mudbug Registered Member

I am adding 30 spline axles to the rear in the future. Oh, I am not installing all this on the ZR2, Im selling it. I got the K5 already. I have had a Z71 with 38s and never had a rear axle problem. I am in mississippi, I dont rockcrawl, just mud ride. I am always getting on the gas, so I know i dont want full time positive traction, I think I will go with the ARBs. It will be a while , and If I tear up the axles alot I will just stick 1 tons under it, real simple, but only as a last resort. Personally I dont think 35s are a large tire, maybe if I was using it as only a trail rider it may be different.Ill go with the ARB.

2000 S-10 ZR2, in process of getting a 88 K5 with a 6 inch lift and 35s