Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Feb 6, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

i know to certain extent that you canot speed around corners but how sharp of a corner will this affrect? say jusy sweeping turns on a highway? also is it a good idea to run a spool on the street?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I have Detroits front & rear on my rig. They don't bother me around corners unless I gas hard going around a corner! Although I wished I used an ARB up front as some turns on the trails can be a pain with the front locked!
    Bill

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

We have a spool in an 89 Bronco (sorry) that gets driven on the road a lot. It's very predictable with no surprises. It does get a lot of looks in parking lots and other tight turning situations.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i too have detroits f/r in my rig and totally dig it. On trails the turning radius may not be the greatest, but I dont mind. On road the rear detroit is fine, I never power through hard turns anyway... slow curves on the freeway and junk you dont even know its there.

AFA the spool goes, I personally would never run one on a rig that would ever see asphault.

j

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i too have lockers front and rear...but my scariest time on a highway was in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. i was coming around a corner right after i had got the truck and it was raining and was a pretty sharp corner. i was doing about 45 and the a$$ end broke loose and did a 180*. so with my truck doing 45+ was too fast and let the rear tires break loose. but then again, i have a 10" lift and 39.5" MT's.

NITRO

6. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Although a locker, it is also a differential, meaning it does allow for some differenciation between each wheel. Just watch the acceleration through sharp turns when on slick roads, other then that, you won't even notice the locker.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run a welded rear and locked front on my truck. It is a daily driver. I love them both. Offroad traction is great and onroad is ok too. Only time you notice the welded rear is cornering. It doesn't bother me unless I am running trail pressure on the street. I run 40 PSI in my MTR's on the street so it slips corners real easy. I wear out tires fast, but I have warranties.

With the MTR's at 40 psi you hardly know the rear is welded unless you are in a parking lot or in a tight turn. They scrub easy threw corners on the street. The welded is more predictable on the street too. I was going to buy a detroit but for now have decided against it.

Harley

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have ran a welded rear, and now a detroit. I like the detroit more. It is a little more finicky in the rain, and hard to predict. But for an AZ truck it is perfect. I don't think I would like it on snow and ice is just silly to drive on.