Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers and a 10bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, Oct 16, 2000.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

i have a 86 K5 with a 4" lift 33" tires and am planning on putting ARB lockers on but i have been told i should swap out the 10bolt rear for a 12bolt before i do the lockers cause if/when i blow out the rear end it will take the locker with it. i dont know a ton about lockers... is this true or a bunch o crap? what are the odds that i will really blow out the rear anyway?

thanks all...

MountainMan Johnson
    86 K5

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I really dont think there is enough difference between the 2 to really matter. Somebody correct if I'm wrong.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I agree, just keep the 10 bolt.

4. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I would say go with a 14 bolt if you are going to put in a locker. I didn't even have a locker in my rear axle when I blew it up(10 bolt). If you are going to do the wheeling that requires a locker you are going to need a stroger axle. You could leave it in and it may never blow but odds are........
    Good Luck

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the 12 bolt is alittle stronger than the 10 bolt, but not by much. the pinion bearing is bigger on the 12 bolt and the ring gear is 1/4 inch larger in size. with the size tires you are using, I wouldn't use a 14 bolt. although they are a near bullet proof axel, it would greatly reduce ground clearance. When making expensive choices on what componants you use, be truthfull with yourself on what your goal really is. ARB lockers are not cheap. there are other lockers available at half the cost. is this a part time off roader?

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I run a detroit with a 10 bolt and I haven't had any problems. It all depends on how hard you use it!

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most of the 10-bolt failures seem to from the carriers (ie- diffs, spider gears, etc.) failing, especially the factory the posi unit. Installing a good aftermarket locker will greatly strengthen this area and lead to less failures (in my opinion). Also, make sure you have the 30 spline axleshafts, at least in the rear, and if you don't convert over to them. Since you are installing a different diff anyway, just order the 30 spline version and buy 30 spline shafts. Moser has some good high strength 30 spline shafts for around $250.....well worth the money if you decide to keep the 10-bolts. Also, the addition of the locker and good shafts should make the 10-bolt pretty equal to a stock 12-bolt.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Couldn't agree more, know what you need your equipment to do, and run accordingly. This has worked for me, despite the horror stories.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>