Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers and gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by paulefoster, Dec 13, 2003.

1. paulefoster

paulefoster Registered Member

:k5: I need info on lockers and gears for my Jimmy. It has stock 10 bolt and I need 4.56 gears. Where is the best place to buy? I have read of a few problems wit 4WP.com on this site but I bought my tires and wheels there with no problem.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Don't put those gears in 1/2 ton running gear. Upgrade axles before you swap gears. If you're gonna invest in gears and stuff, you would rather have them in an axle that will last....

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I bought mine from there, no problems. I've also bought a lot of stuff from Summit and I like dealing with them better.

4. paulefoster

Did you keep the stock axles?

5. paulefoster

I've read the magazines but I really don't know what to upgrade to if I wanted to. 14 bolt? Front and rear? Where do you find Dana with out buying new? How much should I have to pay?

6. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

I just did my 84 K5 10 bolt's with 456's and lockers from 4wp's front auburn and detroit rear. they installed them for $250.00 per axle. seemed alright just had the problems with a friends toyota though. in their 4x4 adventure catalog they list for $1349.00 free shipping. Bearings and all not too bad. I have had good luck with the 10 bolts upgraded axles helped. and only run 35's. good luck, Chad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

buy a 14 bolt w/ the 4.56 and locker already in it I think there are 2 or 3 like that for sale in that forum

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, they have held up fine w/ 35s. I am also running 4.56s and a Detroit in the rear. The FF14B sucks w/ 35s and anything bigger will be hell on 10B or D44 front. I have broken parts, but not manny; one u-joint/stubshaft combo and a CV in the front driveshaft. The axle & u-joint were about 20 years old, the CV was 30.
    Are you staying with 35s? Assuming your '90 has a 700R4, go w/ 4.88s not 4.56s. If you are worried about the 10B rear gat a SF14B or a D60 rear. Either will work w/ 35s.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How big of tires are you planning on running ??? If you'll be going over 35's, I recomend a min. of 3/4 ton axles. If you'll be going to or over 38's, better think about going 1 tons. I don't know all there is to know about this, but going on what others have told me when I asked about these kinda things, I've picked up on alittle.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I need info on lockers and gears for my Jimmy. It has stock 10 bolt and I need 4.56 gears. Where is the best place to buy? I have read of a few problems wit 4WP.com on this site but I bought my tires and wheels there with no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you never plan on running bigger tires than 35s, then sure 4wpw is a decent place to get gears.

If you are getting gears and you are gonna pay someone to install them as well and at some point you plan on bigger than 35s.. and the final bill looks like its gonna be in the $1200-1500 range, keep in mind that you could get a set of 1-ton axles (ff14b rear, dana 60 front) for not much more and they would prolly have 4.10:1 gears already (i assume thats lower than your factory 10-bolts, mine have 3.73s...). All depends on what you want to do with your rig. If its gonna be used offroad with big tires someday in the future, go 1-ton before you sink any $ into 1/2 ton axles... take it from me, I poured thousands into my half ton stuff AND did the 1-ton swap. money wasted, but lesson learned. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I suggest going to 3/4 axles before going to new gears. BUT, Is putting money into 1/2 ton really that bad? Is there absolutely no resale value for HD 1/2 ton stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

theres some, but not much. I prolly got about 1/3 of my money back when i sold my HD 1/2 tons stuff... maybe 1/4. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

j

13. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I've got a 90 with 700R4 and need to upgrade too. I found gears plus Eaton Posi and complete rebuild kits for $600 new on ebay. Not sure if that's a good deal or not. I was planning on doing 4:56's as well.