Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers and safety

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Jan 14, 2003.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Has anyone had a flat tire or blow out with a locker installed? If so, what kind of characteristics did the vehicle possess? I know you can't run different size tires with a locker so I am guessing that it isn't pretty if you have a blow out on the locked axle at say freeway speeds. Just curious of what everyone should be aware of should this ever happen to them.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'd be no different to the locker than going around a corner...the tire spinning faster would over run the carrier speed. Blow outs are not fun, but there is no reason a locker would make it signifiacantly worse.

rene

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try going around a corner while on the throttle, the truck with a locker wants to do crazy things. Now go around the same corner driving normal (most people let off the gas going around a corner) the locker will unlock like intended and not have adverse affects. I would assume that if you were traveling at freeway speeds and had a blow out that it would be the same as going around a corner while on the throttle, the locker will not unlock and it should make for a crazy ride. This is only my opinion of what I believe would happen. I would really like to know if anyone has experienced it first hand and has any input in the matter.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have and on the freeway. I run a detroit in the rear. Now the detroit will let a tire go faster than the driven tire but not slower if that makes sense. If you jake the rear up and put it in drive at an idle or so. You can have both of the rear tires chugging along slow and you can kick one of the tires to move faster and it will. The reason that the truck tries to go strait on the corner while under the throttle, is because the locker is applying power to the inside tire. The outside tire might actually be going faster but thats ok because it will not be allowed to go slower.

So on the freeway when your going strait, The tire going flat becomes the ratcheting tire as its Diameter goes down which to the locker, is like going around a corner. The tire that stays full of air drives it harder and it does try to turn you. That is, if you stay on the throttle going down the freeway with a flat tire. If you slowly let off the throttle it does fairly well. When my tire let go, I took my foot off the gas and coasted over to the side.

So I would have to agree with you. If you stayed on the gas while going down the freeway with a flat tire, it would handle bad.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well Scott...this isn't based on any actual "real world" experience (thankfully)....but here's what I think:

On your truck, you have 35" tires on 16" wheels.....once you have your blowout you are effectively running the rear axle with a 35" tire and a 16" tire!!!!

I know that we are always warned about running different sized tires with a locker, and how it will destroy it in a hurry....but I think what was already mentioned about being "under power" vs "coasting" is valid too.....I wouldn't try to "limp" it home, but it should coast to the side of the road reasonably well.

We can discuss it at great length tonight, as we're setting my valves!!!

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

did you get the new rocker studs in Greg?

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

YES....

Now like a moron, I don't know how to set the valve lash "by ear".... I thought it would be easy, back off the nut until it "clatters" then cinch it back until it stops....go another 1/2 turn or so and move on to the next rocker.

As it turns out.....when the engine's running, there are a LOT of clattering noises, and I can't tell what I'm hearing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And it's not as if the noise goes away instantly when tightening....it simply gets quieter and quieter.....so when the HECK do you know to add that 'extra' 1/2 turn...????

I hate stuff like this. I have bouts of great self-confidence which then gets erased by simple stuff like this...... Scott's going to coach me through the "listening" step tonight. I would be completely lost without that guy!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have had a flat with my 35s on my locked rear axle at highway speeds in the rain pulling a trailer. There is really no difference between that and being unlocked. As a matter of fact, the only reason I noticed the problem was because of the louder humming noise (common from a flat tire) and some slight handling differences (also common with a flat tire). The only real excitement came when I let off the gas. I thought I was going to fishtail to the side of the road! But that was more because of the 3500 lb travel trailer I was towing with the flat than the locker and the flat.